Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers

Cyclone III

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am starter to cyclone III, I tried to connect the power and ethernet cable. It tries to connect to the network, but failed and defaults to static IP address. I had tried to installed the software and it show same result. Can any one help? 

Thanks in advance for the help. 

Best regards 

charley
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

By default, if the IP address is configured to 192.168.0.50. If static IP addressing is used, you must configure your computer to an IP address in the subnet as the cable to communicate with it. The default setting requires your address to be in the 192.168.0.X network domain. Kindly check on the setting for that. 

You may also refer to your operating system manual or contact your network administrator to verify that your network supports DHCP services.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your reply, 

Yes, it will connect but only directly to my windows machine with 192.168.0.81. However, it won't connect to my LAN, which is typical in every way, with DHCP, etc. Everyone elses computers connect to this LAN with no problem. The Demo claims to be compatible but is this really true? If not, how do I fix it?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Specific versions of tools and dev kits that you're using might help... 

Some network switches are set to disallow DHCP from clients that send certain "initial" IP Addresses...like 192.168.x.x, for example. Take a look at the software to see what initial IP address is being sent to rule that issue out. 

Cheers, 

-slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear Slacker, 

Thanks for your help, does cyclone III demo board shipped with MAC address? As I cannot find one, this might causing the failure for the connection.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The MAC address is fixed by software. When you use the sockets server example, it reads the board MAC address from the flash memory.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear Daixiwen, 

Thanks, I enabled the software coded address and now it works
0 Kudos