Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

PCI->UART..20Mbps with EP1C3 HELP!!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi i am new to FPGA and i need o develop a UART with 20Mbps baud rate for a RS-485 aplication. The master of the UART is going to be a PC/104+. To interface with the PC/104+ I am going to use its PCI bus. Summarizing I need to creat a PCI to UART bridge with a FPGA. To start learning FPGA i am probably going to use the lowest cost available. I fount a breakout board with EP1C3 for a very affordable price and i read on the datasheet that it support PCI communication. But specificaly the EP1C3 cant be used with the PCI megafunction but the datasheet has a breath on how to creat a PCI port at this FPGA. All it says is: "There is no megafunction support for EP1C3 devices for the PCI compiler. However, EP1C3 devices support PCI by using the LVTTL 16-mA I/O standard and drive strength assignments in the Quartus II software. The device requires an external diode for PCI compliance".  

What exactly does that means? Can any one help me with this task? First of all. Is it really possible to use this device for this application? DOes any one ever made something similar? Any starting point?  

PS: I am not going to use the breakout board on my final design. It is just for prototyping. 

Thank you!! 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I can't find the said restriction in the present PCI Megacore user manual. The fact, that it's also supporting MAX II, which has considerably fewer resources suggests it should work with EP1C3 as well. But unless you target to a commercial product, you may want to use a more basic open source PCI interface IP, because you need a spearate license for the Altera core.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It is on Cyclone Datasheet page 52. But you are right I will start with bueno's PCI project. Thank you for your answers at edaboard too! You are really helping me!! 

Thank you!
0 Kudos