Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Test Nios II Software Build Tool (SBT) and keep NIOS II IDE 9.0 SP2

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I want to test Nios II Software Build Tool (SBT) for eclipse .... and keep my Nios II IDE 9.0SP2 (backup reason). 

Is it possible to install nios ii software build tool (sbt) for eclipse (9.1 I suppose because 9.0 doesn't offer sbt for eclipse) [Bwithout damaging NIOS II IDE 9.0[/B] functional ? 

I read that Nios II SBT will be the future of Nios II software design. 

I know how to convert IDE project to SBT project. It seems successful. 

Best regards.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Nios II EDS 9.1 includes both the Nios II Software Build Tools for Eclipse and the old Nios II IDE. After installing 9.1, I think you can also still use previous versions that you have installed.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks. 

Could I install nios ii ide 9.1 without installing quartus 9.1 and work with my converted software project (by nios2-convert-ide2sbt) ? 

Through forum, I see .pof generation issue and others, that's why I stick to 9.0SP2. 

See altera release notes and errata  

EDIT :  

On https://www.altera.com/support/software/download/altera_design/quartus_we/dnl-quartus_we.jsp#note1#note1 

I see "To use the Nios II Embedded Design Suite (EDS), you must first install Quartus II software. " 

I will wait for a future release of Quartus & Nios > 9.1sp2
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Or... you could use the tools in a Linux environment where switching between versions can happen with just a few environment variable settings. :-) 

You get the added benefit of >10x compile and significantly faster SOPC Builder generate times as well! 

Cheers, 

-slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is NO Quartus II Web Edition in Linux. 

And I don't have linux environment in my company, just liveCD (to format sd card, compact flash). 

In Windows as well, it is a few environment variable settings. 

Thanks for answer, my decision is to wait a future version.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Or... you could use the tools in a Linux environment  

You get the added benefit of >10x compile and significantly faster SOPC Builder generate times as well! 

--- Quote End ---  

I assume the significantly faster compile time is for compiling the NIOS software? Not for compiling the HDL design? If the HDL compiles and/or fits significantly faster in Linux, I may have to give it a try. 

--- Quote Start ---  

There is NO Quartus II Web Edition in Linux. 

--- Quote End ---  

Starting with Quartus II 9.1, there is a beta web edition for Linux. I am not sure when it will be non beta. I would assume it would be fairly stable even as beta is it must be quite similar to the subscription edition for Linux. Although, I have not tried any version for Linux myself.
0 Kudos