Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

GIT distribution on a disk?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

By now I have a customized branch for our product. We would like to distribute on DVD the entire development environment. So given the distributed nature of GIT, is it possible to create a disk image that can 

be installed and includes all of the files necessary to build my custom 

system locally? Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm a GIT newbie..
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I created the nios2-linux tar ball using this script. 

- Hippo 

mkdir nios2-linux 

cd nios2-linux 

for i in  

binutils gcc3 linux-2.6 toolchain-build uClibc elf2flt  

insight u-boot uClinux-dist glibc 

do 

git clone -n git://sopc.et.ntust.edu.tw/git/$i.git 

done 

cd linux-2.6 

git remote add linus git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git 

git remote add linus_http http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git 

cd .. 

cd uClinux-dist 

git remote add blackfin git://sources.blackfin.uclinux.org/git/readonly-mirrors/uclinux-dist.git 

git remote add blackfin_ssh git+ssh://anonymous@firewall-sources.blackfin.uclinux.org:443/git/readonly-mirrors/uclinux-dist.git 

cd .. 

cd uClibc 

git remote add uclibc git://git.busybox.net/uClibc 

cd .. 

cd u-boot 

git remote add denx git://www.denx.de/git/u-boot.git 

cd ..
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Hippo, that is helpful info. Currently I am having a problem regenerating the auto-gen make files in the linux-2.6 directory. I need to do this as the current paths are wrong in the makefiles (from my old machine). Do I need to follow the " BUILD directory for the kernel:" steps in the linux-2.6 readme file? Thanks, Alex

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What auto-gen make files do you mean? 

If you use git, those auto-gen make files will be ignored. 

- Hippo
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I added some drivers and made some other changes, most notably in the linux-2.6 directory. Now I would like to redistribute this version of the tree with our product. So I committed the changes and made a tar ball. But when I untar the distribution on a new machine and run checkout, it does not regenerate the Makefiles. So the paths are all wrong. That is, they are the paths from the installation on my old machine. Sorry for the stupid question Hippo, but I just don't understand how it's supposed to work. Alex

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Alex, 

Let's discuss this on the nios2-dev mailing list. It will be more comfortable for me. 

Please give me examples of the corrupted paths and files. 

- Hippo
0 Kudos