Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16604 Discussions

DDR2 memory design failed

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Generated a test case from external memory IP for DDR2 design, When I ran the design in QuartusII, it is giving error message as follows, Can some help me with the case...I looked into the Altera Web but i couldn't find solution. 

Error: Cannot place pin mem_clk[0] to location J16 

Error: Can't place VREF pin L14 (VREFGROUP_B5_N0) for pin mem_clk[0] of type bi-directional with SSTL-18 Class I I/O standard at location J16 

Error: Too many output and bidirectional pins per VCCIO and ground pair in I/O bank 5 when the VREF pin L14 (VREFGROUP_B5_N0) is used on device EP3C10F256C7 -- no more than 9 output/bidirectional pins within 14 consecutive pads are allowed when the voltage reference pins are driving in, but there are potentially 12 pins driving out.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It seems you designed the pcb yourself, may be you have to redesign it. 

The SSTL-18 IO can not be used freely as you want, the numbers in each bank you can use are limited. 

Refer to chapter 8 in Cyclone III Device Handbook Volume 1, especially Table 8–5 and related descriptions.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi loywong, 

thanks for your feedback, But I couldn't find table 8-5 in cyclone III handbook. It seems that the table is removed in latest version of Document. Can you point me to exact table number. I assume it is 8-1/8-2 which describes about Cyclone III/Cyclone III LS Device DQS and DQ Bus Mode Support for Each Side of the Device. But I am following all the rules mentioned in that table.  

Here I am attaching the QSF you can have a look. 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Oh, you are right, it is table 8-1 now, my handbook is out of date. 

In you qsf file: 

--- Quote Start ---  

set_location_assignment PIN_L14 -to mem_addr[12] 

--- Quote End ---  

you can not use L14 as an IO, it is the REFERENCE VOLTAGE INPUT for VREFB5. SSTL is a kind of persudo differential IO standard, a group of SSTL io must have a common reference voltage. You must connect it to a 0.9V voltage source for you are using the VREFB5 group(some of your DQ, DQS, ADDR... are SSTL IOs in this group). 

Anothor thing I found: 

--- Quote Start ---  

set_location_assignment PIN_J16 -to mem_clk[0] 

set_location_assignment PIN_K16 -to mem_clk_n[0] 

--- Quote End ---  

while in 3C10's pin-outs file they are: 

DIFFIO_R7n 

DIFFIO_R8n 

not a differential pair. 

I think you shoud place them in a same differential pair.
0 Kudos