Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

How to wire to signal tap?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

(* keep = 1 *) wire rx_bar_hit/* synthesis keep */; assign rx_bar_hit = (rx_desc | rx_desc) ? 1'b1 : 1'b0; But I can't add this signal to Siganl Tap.  

If I add this signal manualy (just type this name in signal tap): 

Critical Warning: Can't connect pre-synthesis signal "top_example_chaining_pipen1b:core|altpcierd_example_app_chaining:app|altpcierd_cdma_app_icm:chaining_dma_arb|artem_dma:artem_dma0|rx_bar_hit" to port "trigger_in" on SignalTap II instance "auto_signaltap_0" because the signal does not exist in the pre-synthesis netlis
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

(* keep = 1 *) wire rx_bar_hit/* synthesis keep */; assign rx_bar_hit = (rx_desc | rx_desc) ? 1'b1 : 1'b0; But I can't add this signal to Siganl Tap.  

If I add this signal manualy (just type this name in signal tap): 

Critical Warning: Can't connect pre-synthesis signal "top_example_chaining_pipen1b:core|altpcierd_example_app_chaining:app|altpcierd_cdma_app_icm:chaining_dma_arb|artem_dma:artem_dma0|rx_bar_hit" to port "trigger_in" on SignalTap II instance "auto_signaltap_0" because the signal does not exist in the pre-synthesis netlis  

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

which setting did you use in the node finder ? Post-Fitting ?? Which Quartus version do you use ? 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

which setting did you use in the node finder ? Post-Fitting ?? Which Quartus version do you use ? 

Kind regards 

GPK 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello. I'm try all settings. No one can find rx_bar_hit. Q9.1 Linux 64bit.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello. I'm try all settings. No one can find rx_bar_hit. Q9.1 Linux 64bit. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

strange, at least "All Names" should show the signal. Did you try wildcards like rx_bar* ? 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

strange, at least "All Names" should show the signal. Did you try wildcards like rx_bar* ? 

GPK 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes,  

"Design Entry (all names)" don't show this signal. Even if I make (* noprune *) (* keep = 1 *) wire rx_bar_hit;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes,  

"Design Entry (all names)" don't show this signal. Even if I make (* noprune *) (* keep = 1 *) wire rx_bar_hit; 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

did you get a warning like this : "object "rx_bar_hit" assigned a value but never read" ? 

That means the signal "rx_bar_hit" is not used in your design and it looks like that it 

is removed regardless of your "keep" assignment. I assume "keep" will only work in order 

to prevent the signal to be removed by the synthesis engine.  

BTW: "noprune" works only for reg ! in case they have no fan out. 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

did you get a warning like this : "object "rx_bar_hit" assigned a value but never read" ? 

That means the signal "rx_bar_hit" is not used in your design and it looks like that it 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes. I'm not use this wire yet. But I'm expected that wire will be used by Signal Tap. 

--- Quote Start ---  

is removed regardless of your "keep" assignment. I assume "keep" will only work in order 

to prevent the signal to be removed by the synthesis engine.  

BTW: "noprune" works only for reg ! in case they have no fan out. 

--- Quote End ---  

So, there are no way to make wire only for Signal Tap?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes. I'm not use this wire yet. But I'm expected that wire will be used by Signal Tap. 

So, there are no way to make wire only for Signal Tap? 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

it looks like that, but you can try to capture the wire signal with a register and preserve the register with "noprune".  

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

it looks like that, but you can try to capture the wire signal with a register and preserve the register with "noprune".  

Kind regards 

GPK 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

I looked into the Quartus Help and found this restriction for "keep": 

"You cannot use this synthesis attribute for nodes that have no fan-out."
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

Kind regards 

GPK 

--- Quote End ---  

--- Quote Start ---  

(* keep = 1 *) wire rx_bar_hit; 

(* noprune *)reg rx_bar_hit_reg; 

always @ (posedge clk_in) begin 

rx_bar_hit_reg <= rx_bar_hit; 

end 

--- Quote End ---  

Worked.  

Thanks for all.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you can also route those signals to outside pins, to leds for instance. 

a colegue of mine suggested me to XOR all signals that i want to debug and route result to LEDs.
0 Kudos