Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

ModelSim Random Input Stimulus?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Sorry for my lame question, I'm new to this world... 

I used to use Quartus Simulator to simulate my VHDL design, it is easy to use, but the feature is limited. So I try to use ModelSim Altera Edition, it is complex and hard to use (I think :D ).  

Unlike Quartus Simulator, I can't find how to create random value for my input signal. Please help me how to solve this problem... Any kind of help will be appreciated... 

Thanks...
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In Modelsim, you have to write your own testbench to stimulate your design, so you will have to generate random numbers in VHDL. 

There are 2 ways of doing this: 

1. Use a linear feedback shift register. have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/lfsr 

2. There is a random number generator in the ieee.math_real package, a procedure called "uniform". It generates Reals between 0.0 and 1.0 (inclusive I think) and you can use this to generate random integers by scaling between two limits. Here is a procedure I created in a "testbench_tools" package for generating random integers (which can easily be converted to signed/unsigned/slv/ufixed/sfixed): 

procedure rand_int( variable seed1, seed2 : inout positive; min, max : in integer; result : out integer) is variable rand : real; variable val_range : real; begin assert (max >= min) report "Rand_int: Range Error" severity Failure; uniform(seed1, seed2, rand); val_range := real(Max - Min + 1); result := integer( trunc(rand * val_range )) + min; end procedure;  

the two seed value must be variables in your testbench. min and max set the limits of the random number generation (inclusive). result is the random number
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So, we make the output of our testbench as input in our design? 

Hmm,... How if we want to make the input occur and end at specified time? :confused:  

Anyway, thanks for your answer... :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

A testbench usually has no inputs and no outputs (ie. no port declaration), it justs generates the IO for the unit under test. You would not compile a testbench in quartus, and it would not go into the FPGA.  

my testbenches usually start like this: 

entity my_ent_TB is end entity my_ent_TB; architecture test of my_ent_TB is begin .... end architecture my_ent_TB;  

VHDL supports ALOT of stuff that you cant compile in quartus, which is intended exactly for simulation. For example, to generate a clock, you can do this: 

clk <= not clk after 10 ns; --a 100MHz clk. 

and for specified inputs: 

input <= '1', '0' after 1 us, '1' after 2us, '0' after 5us ; --etc. 

or for more complicated things (like random number input procedure above): 

assume input_slv is an 8 bit bus: 

process variable seed1, seed2 : positive := 1587437; --any number will do. Different seed value changes the sequence. variable input_int : integer; begin wait until rising_edge(clk); rand_int(seed1, seed2, 0, 255, input_int); input_slv <= std_logic_vector( to_unsigned( input_int, 8)); end process;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I see,... 

Ok let me try that... 

Thank You very much for your help... I appreciate that... :)
0 Kudos