FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

ALtera FFT Outputs in SignalTapII

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm using an Alter 1024-point FFT IP (burst) and after implementing it I used SignalTapII for the FFT outputs acquisition. Now, I want to plot these output values using MATLAB but I'm a little confused about the format of these outputs. For testing I used 32-bit real input, all ones, and the imaginary is fixed to zero. 

How are the real and exponent outputs represented; are they just decimal, signed or two's complement signed? How can I correctly plot these outputs? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello, 

I'm using an Alter 1024-point FFT IP (burst) and after implementing it I used SignalTapII for the FFT outputs acquisition. Now, I want to plot these output values using MATLAB but I'm a little confused about the format of these outputs. For testing I used 32-bit real input, all ones, and the imaginary is fixed to zero. 

How are the real and exponent outputs represented; are they just decimal, signed or two's complement signed? How can I correctly plot these outputs? 

Thanks 

--- Quote End ---  

altera fftcore if set to block floating point then output = fft_output * 2^(-exponent) 

Re/im data & exponent are all signed. 

signed = decimal = 2's complement...usually
0 Kudos