Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16598 Discussions

Text editor search window

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Q2 V9.1 Build 222 

The 2 things that I really like about Altera's text editor (and the reason I don't use an external editor) is that I can open up 2 windows at once for the same file (without having to get a nag screen which says "file has been updated by another program blah blah" every time I save it) and that I can split the screen in 2. This gives me the ability to view 4 (or more) different sections of the file at once which makes me about 10 times as productive as I am when I have to continually scroll up and down to reference different parts of the file. 

The thing I really really dislike about Altera's editor (which is NOT the way older versions worked! - prior to V7) is the way it deals with the search pop-up window. To wit: 

1) You can't re-enter a different search string without using the mouse (unless you're still in it but that's useless because if you were you haven't used it yet). 

2) You can't get rid of the window without using the mouse (unless ... see above); The older versions of Quartus allowed you to use the 'esc' key to remove the search window, regardless of whether it was active or not. 

3) If you forget the state of the search window (whether it's open or not) and do a 'ctrl f' to open it you just get ignored and the next word you type shows up in your code instead of in the search window. 

If you know of an editor which does all of the above well I'm more than willing to try it out. 

-Rob 

PS Excuse me if this is a repeat question; fix your search engine and I'll stop posting repeats!
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I found another post which said they changed this due to some customer's input. Great, if you're going to intentionally break perfectly good features at least have the common courtesy to give us the option to turn the feature on again!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

based on the QII 9.1 'qgui' application behavior (or QII 9.1 Web Edition Linux) this problem has been fixed. 

what's wrong with the search engine?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Gee, I wish they would fix it in the real release as well! (perhaps it was never broken in the linux version?)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I use gVim with Quartus. I love it. Quartus is aware of it so when I click on a file in Quartus it opens it in gVim. The only feature I don't get is the ability to highlight something in the text editor and do a "locate". 

For me the text editor choice is all about what makes you the most efficient. Doing a search in gVim all you have to do is hit the "/" key. Vim has a learning curve but once you get past it, you can code with extreme speed. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

(g)vim is good, also try Notepad++, Programmer's Notepad, etc. 

after you learn vi you'll find yourself typing vi commands in Windows Notepad (when you accidentally open it). :D 

i've never configured Quartus to use an external editor. maybe i should try it out
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

jakobjones, 

Have you gotten Quartus to open files at the correct error line in GVIM?  

Here's what I'm doing.... 

text editor location 

pathtogvim/gvim.exe --servername gvimquart --remote-silent 

I've tried the following command line options

+%l %f (<-works most of the time) 

-and- 

":e %f<cr>:%l<cr>" (<-Doesn't work correctly) 

I'm wondering if there is a different approach that works 100% of the time. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

searching in vim 

As for searching across multiple files while in GVIM, I use vimgrep. It gives you a nice quicklist of locations typing :copen. 

While searching for a word under the cursor, I press * or# . If I want to see a little line and position context I use this from VIMTIPS. 

map <f5> [i:let nr = input("which one: ")<bar>exe "normal " . nr ."[\t"<cr>
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

robwillcarp, 

I suggest giving VIM a try. It's keyboard driven and has split windows, macros, regular expression engine, registers, modal editing, column editing, and a whole lot more. 

Check out derekwyatt.org VIM tutorial videos.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My command line options: 

+%l --remote-tab-silent %f 

Always seems to work for me. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've just updated to v10.1 and now the last remaining useful features of the Quartus editor, namely split and muliple windows has been removed. Thanks Altera ! One by one you're whittling down the few GOOD thing your software does. At the current rate of feature removal by version 12 it ought to be completely useless!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am now using UltraEdit which I really like. Somehow though, Quartus doesn't find the correct file and line (for errors) in SOME of my projects and finds it in others. They all have the same Command-line option: "%f/%l". 

The projects that don't work were originally compiled in older versions of Quartus... could there be a line in the qsf which somehow breaks the command-line option? 

Any help would be appreciated.'
0 Kudos