Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16603 Discussions

Pin planner Quartus II 10.0 problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone, 

I'm realy starting to regret my update to QuartusII 10.0... 

What I'm trying to do is manually assign pins to nodes in the pin planner in Quartus II. Before my update from Quartus II 9.1 to Quartus II 10.0 I could manually assign pins by typing the location in the location field in the pin planner e.g. I could type AD7 <enter> for PIN_AD7. For some reason unknown Quartus II doesn't allow me to do this anymore. I can type everything I want but it only reacts to the first character I typed. 

Does anyone have a sollution to this problem?  

Kind regards, 

Void_
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i think this has to do with the GUI switch in 10.0. most features have been implemented in the new GUI, but some of the little things that improve efficiency didn't seem to make it yet. 

i suggest filing an SR as an "enhancement request" to let Altera know this feature should be prioritized in future releases
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your input, I'll do that. 

-edit: 

I contacted Altera and they let me know this issue will be taken to the Quartus II R&D department. Not sure if it will be fixed in the next release though.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I want to add that this is not the only issue I have with the 10.0 version of quartusII. I'm really beginning to think that this version is a beta version! 

To add to this problem, the assigment editor doesn't find the pins automatically, we now have to create them one by one. 

We cannot select a wire to name it anymore, we have to right click it, then select "properties" 

A double click on a wire doesn't select the entire wire anymore, it does nothing. 

In the symbol window, we have to click first on the "libraries" fields to enable the automatic search while tapping the name of the component we want to use. If we don't do that, the last selected component is used. 

This is a little list of what make me upset with this new version, i'll fill an SR as an "enhancement request". I work with quartus since 3 years now, and I found this version is the worst I ever used.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Don't usually like complaining but I just want to add to this list to warn people against upgrading just yet. 

Since upgrading (this morning!) I've had 3 crashes and counted 2 bugs, one serious in the pin planner where it seems to think (all visual indication to the contrary) that I've assigned multiple outputs to the same pin. 

I am not even trying to resolve this, im downloading a copy of 9.1sp2 and just hoping it works with Eclipse 10 since I only upgraded because of problems compiling code for the NIOSII. 

I don't know why they've changed the implementation of the GUI. I even recognize from the errors when it crashed what SDK they are using, if im not mistaken its Qt by Nokia. I've used it before and while it abstracts away some of the nasty stuff in GUI programming it introduces just as many idiosyncracies and design problems itself.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

between the crashes of the older Linux MainWin GUI and the newly available Web Edition for Linux, i can understand the move to Qt. there are some snags in the transition period, but hopefully a service pack will bring back some usability in 10.0

0 Kudos