Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

Installed nios II 9.1 on Windows 7, now there are issues

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there people of the forum. 

I have recently upgraded my Desktop to windows 7 and upgraded to NIOS II 9.1 and successfully completed that, I can compile software, BUT when I come to connect to the blaster, there doesn't seems to be anywhere I can point the IDE to 'see' the blaster, consequently, I cannot program my unit's, unless I find a solution to this issue, I may have to use a dual boot and revert back to XP and a prior version of NIOS. 

The only reason I changed OS versions was because the older version of NIOS (8) doesn't compile programs properly (on 7 or vista), as it has an issue with a fork process? 

Any advice is appreciated. 

Cheers, 

MRb
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The problem on Windows 7 is the driver for the Balster. As it is not signed under 9.1 you cannot use it the normal way. We worked with the driver under 7 for a university project once and the only thing to get it working was to set the windows into a developer mode and sign the driver on our own. (found a programm to do this, but as I am now working with a VM does not have that anymore) 

I am still working with 9.1 but has got a VM with XP running to access the blaster. Perhaps you try using one of the altered drivers that you can find here in the forum, look at http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19233 

Good luck.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there Peet_2, 

Thanks for the advice, I have read through the thread, and found the zip file, unfortunately I can't seem to install those new drivers for the blaster, but I am open to the suggestion of having the VM XP installation on my machine. 

I also found that turning off the 'force unsigned drivers' through an ?msc? module helped a little & now can access the blaster, however, I cannot access the debug part at all, but everything else access fine now - so a partial success. 

If I find a definitive answer to this problem I will post a solution as this has been bothering me for a good six weeks now. 

I/We have the altera rep coming in shortly so I will ask him when I see him. 

Thanks once again, 

MRb
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't see the issue that you guys are seeing. I didn't have to do anything special to see the USB Blaster on Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit). 

I'm able to debug from both the Windows installed Nios II EDS and a virtual machined Ubuntu version as well. 

Other than running the installer "as administrator", I don't recall doing anything special...at all. 

Just my $0.02 on the matter. 

--slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there slacker, 

There is a 32 bit difference ;) Your a 64 bit box! What version of NIOS EDS did you use? 

1) Installed fine 

2) Compiles workspace fine 

3) Programs quartus stuff fine (Quartus sees the blaster?!?) 

4) NIOS Flash programs Flash 

5) Can't access debug mode as blaster is missing (fails to launch) 

I shall see what the rep says :) 

Cheers, 

MRb
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, nice that you got it working so far. 

In my opinion this sounds like you have got a different issue now. Have you searched a bit for a debug problem? Perhaps it is a problem while updating from the older version? Did you used the NIOS EDS before? Perhaps you want to try to recreate the Eclipse Project with bsp if it is the case, I would give it a try. (and I would search at altera for bugreports, perhaps it is a known issue) 

JMTC Good luck.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there Peet_2, 

Yes, I can now see the device from flash programmer, however using the debug still doesn't connect. I have the Altera rep coming in some point next week I hope (just waiting for confirmation) But I think I may do a complete re-install to just see if I missed anything first time around. 

I used NIOS 8 before without error (windows XP), but when I changed to windows 7 NIOS 8 is incompatible, so I have gone to 9, which is now where I have trouble, If only I could find a way of just inject the sof file & flash the device in one foul swoop without using NIOS, ie like injecting a hex file directly into a MCU - life would be easier :) 

Thanks for the continued help. 

Cheers, 

MRb
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

Well partial success, and try again tomorrow! The main problem is when I try loading the project (stable release from our server) the project fails to load the relevant .c files for editing, instead it says that paths arn't right. 

Then I find an email from altera to say that NIOS 10 is compatible with windows 7, so I am downloading that, hopefully that will solve the error. 

The success I had on another machine, which doesn't debug is; rebuilt project and hit the master reset key next to the micro (Cyclone II) and waited for the kettle to boil, then tried the debug again, hey presto all work's and I now have happy engineers! Tech guy is now happy :) 

I just want the 'upgrade' to work so I can carry on developing the test software now, and supply the engineers with working controller boards. 

Cheers for all the suggestions anyway. 

MRb
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

Just a note for anyone Installing the Nios/Quartus 10 suite - get the CD/DVD from Altera, the download is stupidly slow & requires 2 seperate installers just for quartus - it took me 6 hours to just get it installed, retrospectively I should have ordered the disk. lol 

Getting there now - hopefully this cures the issue. 

Cheers, 

MRb
0 Kudos