Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers

chose FPGA

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a code in c + +, I work with bmp images (480 * 640), I want to implment it on a fpga board 

does anyone can help me to chose the correct board?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It really depends on what you are doing with the image, and how you're going to get the image into the FPGA. 

What I would do, is make a list of the features you need the board to support, and then try to at least get some idea of the number of FPGA resources you need based on the function you are trying to implement. IE How many Memory blocks, How many multipliers, how many LE's.  

The FPGA Resources requirement then double (at least) that should give you a Target FPGA size, then the other feature requirements will give you the board. 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

how I can know the number of Memory blocks, How many multipliers, how many LE's.?andHow many Memory blocks, How many multipliers, how many LE's.  

I must use a tools? I have onlly a code tuen under c++ 

regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Use the altera C2H compiler it compiles C code into hardware. 

Or analize your code to find out how many multiplications and intermidiate memory you use. 

I did a complex image processing algorithm in a FPGA 125MHz and it run 20000 faster than a very powerfull 3GHz workstation with lots of cache. 

So some classes of algorithms benefit a lot from FPGA implementation. 

But it is hard to say how much, unless you really do it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello, 

how I can download altera C2H compiler,Can you send me the link? 

my code contain complex image processing algorithm;i think it 's difficult to find out how many multiplications and intermidiate memory you use  

manually!! 

regards 

0 Kudos