Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

BGA's in Tape & Reel?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Somebody must have experience with this... why doesn't Altera sell parts in BGA packages (such as the FBGA-256) in tape and reel? Is there too little demand? Or are they just concerned about reliability? How risky is it to have a third party tray-to-tape? I'm being pressured to have this done, but I am wary. :confused:

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Good question...I don't think this is something Altera has ever done...tray only. There are a number of possible reasons: Not enough requests, too many T&R options (such as orientation or tape width), sheer mass and size of the largest BGA parts, storage concerns, monetary cost of larger devices vs. reel size etc. With this being said, there is no reason why most devices could not be T&R'ed. 

And to address this, your friendly local Altera distributor (Arrow or Digikey for North America) can provide Tape & Reel as a value-add service. Or there is nothing to stop you having it done yourself, if you prefer. ;)  

Stephen
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Well, the problem is, all I have are "possible" reasons. Arrow would be the one to tape them, and they claim to have experience with similar packages, but I just want to know if there's a GOOD reason Altera doesn't do it themselves. Obviously, reliability is my only real concern.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Josco, 

There is nothing special about Altera device packages that would preclude them from being tape and reeled. Whether a device is provided in a tray or on a reel has no bearing whatsoever on reliability, providing they are handled and stored correctly. 

Altera's decision to provide devices in tray format is the easiest, safest and most cost effective path for them (this is the 'good' reason). There are just too many options and logistical concerns when devices are T&R'ed, though reliability by applying the T&R process itself is not one of them. Many customers use both Arrow and third party companies to T&R Altera products without issue. 

Hopefully this helps to dispell your fears - if not, please elaborate on what your specific concerns are. 

Stephen
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I suppose my only concern is about part stability in the tape during shipping and while on the PNP machine. Trays hold the parts very well without the balls touching anything, and they allow for the necessary placement precision. I am having a hard time envisioning a carrier tape that could do the same. I would just hate to see some latent problem pop up because we wanted to save a few minutes loading and unloading trays! Since Arrow is willing to do it, though, I have to assume they are comfortable with their process and packaging. Thanks for all your input!

0 Kudos