Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

No Nios II target connection paths were located error in NIOS II EDS 10.0

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Using Windows Xp, I upgraded Quartus II (32bit) and Nios II EDS from version 9.1SP1 to 10.0 and now I have a problem in connecting to the NIOS II processor through the JTAG USB Blaster. 

Running the configuration in NIOS II EDS, when I go "run as --> Nios II Hardware", in the "Target Connection" Tab I get the message: 

" no nios ii target connection paths were located. check connections and that a nios ii .sof is downloaded."  

This happens even with the Terasic Cyclone III FPGA starter kit board downloading their reference design "cycloneiii_3c25_start_niosii_standard.sof" and creating an "Hello World" application program. 

Is there anybody who had the same problem with NIOS II EDS 10.0 and can help me? 

Michele
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I just fixed my problem using the NIOS II 10.0 Command Shell. I report what happened as someone could find it useful: 

I tried to connect to the NIOS II processor using:  

nios2-terminal  

but the shell prompted that I had to specify the --cable option as it appeared I had more than one cable active. So I enumerated my JTAG cable using: 

jtagconfig --enum  

and I discovered that it was seeing a ByteBlaster cable that I am actually not using: 

bash-3.1$ jtagconfig --enum 

1) ByteBlaster [LPT1] 

Unable to lock chain (Bad port name) 

2) USB-Blaster [USB-0] 

020F30DD EP3C25/EP4CE22 

I deleted this cable by using the command: 

jtagconfig --remove 1  

and now I can see my NIOS II processor and run my firmware on NIOS II EDS again! :)  

Michele
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you very much Michele. 

We had the same problem and your fix solved it. :) 

Best regards, 

Slobodan.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You are very welcome Slobodan. I am happy my post was useful. 

Thank you very much for the feedback ! 

Kind regards, 

Michele
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you. Great post and your solution worked. You saved my day.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You are welcome ! Thanks ! 

Regards 

Michele
0 Kudos