Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

High speed DAC/ADC for Dev Kits?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey, 

I am planning to buy a Stratix IV Dev Kit for my research project. I have found that there are 150/250 MSample/s ADC/DAC cards connected through this HSMC. The thing is I would require higher rates (1GS/s on both DAC and ADC). Where can I find compatibile cards? 

BTW, there is no product inquiry contact form on Altera's website, what's with that? 

Kind regards, 

Marcin.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What about this: 

http://fpgablog.com/posts/vmetro-adc510-fmc/ 

It should be possible to interleave two channels to obtain 1Gs or 4channels + Filtering.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

What about this: 

It should be possible to interleave two channels to obtain 1Gs or 4channels + Filtering. 

--- Quote End ---  

Do you think that interleaving two 500M channels would give a nice 1G channel? And also, as I see it, it would require some changes made directly to the card, wouldn't it? Both converter would have to be connected to the same input/output socket somehow, and their clocks should be 180 deg. shifted. Is this how you see it?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Intersting similarity to my current work. 

We have our own mezzanine card with DAC/ADC running at 560MHz dual channels. 

The clocking is same to both ADC channels. The fpga receives the dual channels and processes them in parallel at 280Mhz. 

The bottle neck is the fpga speed. anything more than 300Mhz is unrealistic for stratix 4. In your case you might need to process 4 channels in parallel inside fpga. you can break the channels on DDR pins or serdes. 

One problem might be when DAC/ADC channels lose order(alignment) if not synchronised.
0 Kudos