Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20703 Discussions

Outputting a clock

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a Cyclone III FPGA. I want to output a clock, lets say a SCLK for SPI communication, from the FPGA to another device. Should I use a PLL output pin or can I just use a normal IO? The clock signal is single ended (not differential) and will be a maximum of 60 MHz. Thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can drive a clock out via any IO pin, but Altera recommends to do it with ddr_out block to get an optimal result (without warnings about jitter etc.).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The use of DDR to clock out is justified for very high speed. 

SPI clocks are normally very slow and so any io will do
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Right, wanted to say that too. DDR in fact is only a must, when putting out the clock frequency itself. Everything lower, which is a 100% divider of the master clock is best realized with a counter and a simple IO-REG (FF). 

Another case may be a clock of e.g. 66% of the system clock. A DDR and another PLL will be required.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What's the flak for? 

Danieldt said he wants to output a 60 MHz clock to drive an SPI device (e.g. a Serial Data Flash) and I assumed this clock is probably generated by a PLL. If you output the clock directly to an IO pin the fitter will issue a warning that the that output signal has increased jitter. If you subsequently use a ddr-Out bock to drive that clock out, the warning will disappear. I don't like warnings to appear from code I write, so I put in the ddr-out block. It is not because Altera's IP (and others too, I know) spits out zillions of cryptic warnings that we should allow our work to do the same.
0 Kudos