Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

Arria II GX DDR2 issues with .QSF file

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have been banging my head against a wall for the last day and I hope I can get a solution to this. 

Challenge: 

Generated a HPCII DDR2 controller using the Megawizard, not an issue. The top level of the project with the controller is synthesizing fine including the controller. The problem comes with the DQSN signal in the qsf file. Here are the assignment statements in the qsf file: 

set_instance_assignment -name IO_STANDARD "SSTL-18 CLASS I" -to MEM_DQS 

set_instance_assignment -name OUTPUT_TERMINATION "SERIES 50 OHM WITH CALIBRATION" -to MEM_DQS 

set_instance_assignment -name IO_STANDARD "SSTL-18 CLASS I" -to MEM_DQSN 

set_instance_assignment -name OUTPUT_TERMINATION "SERIES 50 OHM WITH CALIBRATION" -to MEM_DQSN 

set_location_assignment PIN_AM25 -to MEM_DQS[0] 

set_location_assignment PIN_AM26 -to MEM_DQSN[0] 

set_instance_assignment -name OUTPUT_ENABLE_GROUP 57199071 -to MEM_DQS 

set_instance_assignment -name OUTPUT_ENABLE_GROUP 57199071 -to MEM_DQSN 

set_instance_assignment -name IO_STANDARD "SSTL-18 CLASS I" -to MEM_DQS[0]#  

These statements are essentially a copy from the golden qsf file from the ARRIA II GX devbrd kit. During fitting I get this message: 

Error: Can't place node "MEM_DQSN[0]" -- node is a differential I/O node 

I have tried multiple changes to these statements and nothing is working. 

Ideas? 

pinscore
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

IO Standard for DQS/DQSn should be Differential SSTL-18 Class I. When you enter pin AM25, edit the differential column and change mem_dqs[0](n) to mem_dqsn [0] 

I spent some time on this and finally got the example_top to work. The documentation and material that comes with the kit is very hard to follow and not as complete or clear as it could be.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So you are saying change: 

set_instance_assignment -name IO_STANDARD "SSTL-18 CLASS I" -to MEM_DQSN 

to 

set_instance_assignment -name IO_STANDARD "SSTL-18 CLASS I" -to MEM_DQSN[0] 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Tried the change and it gave me the same error...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The IO standard should be "differential sstl-18 class i". If you do not specify that, Quartus will think you are doing single-ended DQS signals. In the pin planner, choose the Differential SSTL-18 Class I from the drop down list. You should a line like this: 

set_instance_assignment -name io_standard "differential 1.8-v hstl class i" -to mem_dqs[0] 

(adjust for pin name if it is not mem_dqs)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I did the change and wow...now I am getting some major bank conflict errors, but I got past the original. 

The pins in conflict are set for 2.5v default. I am assuming that if I change them to either the 1.8V or 1.8V HSTL that would work?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In the pin planner, you can highlight the IO banks. Anything that shares the bank with the DDR2 should probably be 1.8V. Look at the dev board schematic sheet 26 to find out which bank has which voltage and correlate that with the voltage values on page 18 (and probably others)

0 Kudos