Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Quartus II Can't see the USB BLaster

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello i am using CENTOS5, installed the quartus in my home folder without any problem. 

But the centos isnt recognizing the USB blaster, what should i do? I tried everything that is on nioswiki.com and nothing 

thanks
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's all about whether you're distro is using devfs or udev. I don't recall which CentOS 5 is. I'll look into and post again. 

What do you get when you type "jtagconfig" from a properly setup shell? 

Cheers, 

--slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, i am not at my job atm so i can't answer. 

CentOS uses udev! Nioswiki told me to that: 

For RHEL5 or Centos5, 

Create a file named /etc/udev/rules.d/51-usbblaster.rules and add the following 

lines to it. Take note that after# USB-Blaster, all code must be in one line. 

# USB-Blaster 

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="09fb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="6001",MODE="0666", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'K=%k; K=$${K#usbdev}; printf /proc/bus/usb/%%03i/%%03i $${K%%%%.*} $${K#*.}'", RUN+="/bin/chmod 0666 %c" 

Next, create an empty file in your home directory named “.jtag.conf ”.  

touch ~/.jtag.conf 

That's what i did.  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It's all about whether you're distro is using devfs or udev. I don't recall which CentOS 5 is. I'll look into and post again. 

What do you get when you type "jtagconfig" from a properly setup shell? 

Cheers, 

--slacker 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello, this is what i get: 

[aprado@localhost ~]$ jtagconfig  

Error (Server error) when scanning hardware ] 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello can anyone give me an answer? This is kinda urgent.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you have something that looks like this in your /etc/fstab file? 

usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devmode=0666 0 0 

If not, add it and do a "mount -a" following it and the usbfs filesystem should be mounted. 

Never have seen that particular error myself, but that's the only step that I see missing. 

--slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did it, and when i do mount -a i get the following message: 

[root@localhost ~]# mount -a 

mount: usbfs already mounted or /proc/bus/usb busy
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had a similar issue under SuSE 11.3, but it was not the same error message as you received. Here is my config and solution. 

I added the /etc/udev/ rules file and created the .jtag.conf, but couldn't mount my USB blaster on a DE3 board. 

jtagconfig resulted in the following status message: 

$ jtagconfig No JTAG hardware available ~/src/nios2de3 $ Here was my /etc/fstab configuration of usbfs: 

usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0And here was the 'dmesg' output showing the device being correctly detected when I plug in the device: 

usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5 usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=09fb, idProduct=6001 usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3 usb 2-1: Product: USB-Blaster usb 2-1: Manufacturer: Altera usb 2-1: SerialNumber: 91d28408mount -a wouldn't mount it, so I modified the usbfs line in /etc/fstab from 'noauto' to 'devmode=0666'. Then mount -a added the device. jtagconfig then read my USB blaster just fine. 

Hope this helps...
0 Kudos