Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12590 Discussions

Restarting program in debugger without download in SBT

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm using the Nios II Software Build Tools v9.1sp1 and the debugger for the "Nios II Hardware" from within the SBT. 

The program has grown to a quite huge size (12M), so I would prefer to just restart the program from the beginning (for debugging) rather than downloading and then starting it. 

I've seen that "Terminate and Relaunch" in the "Nios II Debug" View also triggers the complete chain (build, download, debug) 

Is there a way to only restart the program (without build and download)? 

Thanks in advance, 

Rene
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Missing out the 'download' would mean that initialised data would not get reset - so maybe that isn't necessarily a good idea. 

But it is a PITA that the 'build' phase is always included.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The build phase is not so disturbing - it will recognize quite fast that nothing has to be done, so this will take approx. 2 seconds. 

The initialization problem would not be too bad (I could introduce an init function within main()). 

Actually, there is a "Restart" item in the "Nios II Debug" context menu. I would assume a "jump _start" or similar.  

Unfortunately, this will just cause the debugger to stop and give the error message "Execution is suspended because of error". 

Is there a way to incorporate the "jump _start" command? 

Thanks, 

Rene
0 Kudos