Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

Errors during BSP generation -seeking help to solve

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm new to using SOPC and NIOS. I'm using Quartus II 10.0.  

1. I've instantiated NIOS II procesoor, onchip_memory, jtag_uart in my project.  

2. Chosen all default options 

3. Auto assigned base addresses 

4. Generated the sopc and compiled it in using quartus. Loaded teh .sof in our board using JTAG usb byte blaster 

5. Invoked NIS II eclipse from SOPC builder 

6. Created a nes "NIOS II Application and BSP from Template" 

7. Selected HelloWorld template 

8. Crated the applcation project(named MyNiosSwproject2) and _bsp project 

9. Build the application_bsp project. No errors reported 

10.hen I try to run, it asks for run configuration. I tried to created a new configuration for NIOS II hardware. It asks for the path of the .elf file. But theelf is not found in teh projects folder. 

11. I tried to build the application project instead. 

This has reported teh following errors 

Description Resource Path Location Type 

make: *** [MyNiosSwproject2.elf] Error 1 MyNiosSwproject2 line 0 C/C++ Problem 

MyNiosSwproject2.elf: section .exceptions lma 0x4020 overlaps previous sections MyNiosSwproject2 line 0 C/C++ Problem 

MyNiosSwproject2.elf: section .text lma 0x41b4 overlaps previous sections MyNiosSwproject2 line 0 C/C++ Problem 

region onchip_memory2_0 is full (MyNiosSwproject2.elf section .text) MyNiosSwproject2 line 0 C/C++ Problem 

section .rodata [00004020 -> 0000406f] overlaps section .exceptions [00004020 -> 000041b3] MyNiosSwproject2 line 0 C/C++ Problem 

section .rwdata [00005ab8 -> 000074ff] overlaps section .text [000041b4 -> 000094d3] MyNiosSwproject2 line 0 C/C++ Problem 

Please suggest how this issue can be solved. 

thanks and regards, 

Vaasundhara
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Looks like your code footprint is larger than the memory you have allocated. I recommend looking at the Nios II software handbook and the various options you can use to reduce your memory footprint. Since you are working with the templates you can try the "hello world small" template to see the various setting changes in the BSP to reduce the footprint.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks! I used "HelloWorldSmall" and it is working now. Yet to try out selecting different parameters for the memory. 

regards, 

Vasundhara
0 Kudos