Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20689 Discussions

upgrading computer with FPGA interface

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi I have a computer that is about 10 years old with a parrellel port connecting to an altera dongle. Anyhow I am upgrading the computer with USB and Eithernet, can anyone suggest a converter that will work? 

Thanks Paul.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Go ahead and dump the byte blaster (Parallel port version) and get the USB blaster ($300 from Altera) or the Terasic clone of the USB blaster ($50.00). 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks for the response, how not familiar with these devices but do they just allow reprogramming of an FPGA? Would you need this to communicate with an FPGA from say a windows program running Lab View?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The USB Blaster (Either the Altera or Terasic versions) basically allow you to program the FPGA through the JTAG interface to the fpga our to program the serial flash in a "Active Serial" programming scheme. 

Other capabilities, if the NIOS CPU is use in the FPGA, it allows for debugging of software, and works as a JTAG based UART, as well as allows communication to Signal Tap logic analyzer. 

As far as working with Lab-View?? I've never done this, but it should be possible. 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the additional information. Also I noticed this old computer has a Altera Blaster as well as an Altera software guard, looks like the guard is connected to the old parrellel port, just wondering what the difference is between the blaster and the software guard? Sounds like the blaster is used to support programming the FPGA.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The parallel port version of the software guard (T-Guard) is obsolete. For the latest version of the software, they use a USB dongle or a floating license file based on the mac address of the license server. 

However depending on the family you are targeting, you may be able just to use the web-edition of the tool, which has a free license. 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think the target device is the Altera FPGA EP20K2000EQC208-2x. So is the altera dongle just used to prevent reprogramming of the fpga and does both the dongle and the blaster typically connect to the target fpga?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok.. The APEX 20k family is no longer supported with the latest versions of Quartus II. So you will have to run an older version of Quartus if you are going to make any modifications to your existing code. 

The problem arises here, in that older versions of Quartus will probably not run well under Windows 7 or Vista. Or new versions of Linux distributions. 

So your best choice may be to virtualize your old computer with VMWARE converter then run the old OS/Software on the new hardware with VMware Player. Both are free software. 

If you are just "Programming" the devices, then you may not have too many issues, but if you want to modify an old design, the VM route is your best option. 

Parallel port's are hard to come by these days, but I know the Dell E-Port Plus docking station does have it still for the compatible Dell Laptops. We just purchased some Latitude 6510's from the dell outlet..  

The Apex 20K is still supported in Quartus II 8.1 Was dropped in 9.1 I don't know if it's in 9.0 or not. All these versions (Both licensed or Web Editions) are available from the altera ftp site. 

I don't know if the 20k was supported under the web edition, or required a license, but I'm assuming the Web Edition would be ok. 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks for the additional detailed information. Although it is a new computer it will have windows XP professional SP3, do you think Quartus II will run ok on it? (Is the Quartus software only for reprogramming?) Also if I plan on not making any changes to the FPGA but the FPGA may communicate with the host program (running on the PC), will I still need the Quartus software? Also sounds like VMWARE converter might be like Microsofts' virtual PC. Do you think the host program on the pc communicates to the EP20K FPGA through the COM port on the old system? Also I found a card that plugs into PCI express and has a com port with the db-25 connector.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

just correcting an error in my last post, the PCIe card I found provides a Parallel port and plugs into the PCI express slot.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for all the information on this. We are getting ready to get the software for a new computer, (but computer is running windows XP). Would you know who to contact to find out what version of  

Quartus II to get, version 8.1 or 9 as well as pricing information. to support the Altera FPGA EP20K2000EQC208-2x? Also sounds like there might be a file off of the web we can use in place of the dongle? 

Paul
0 Kudos