Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

on-chip hex in SOF - problem to run

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys, 

I have a problem with this, hopefully somebody has similar experience. 

I have a quite simple nios program, just changing some values of pio to flash LEDs if the memory test (altera code) is successfull and printf messages. 

I run everthing without any problems if I use Run as -> Nios II HArdware in the Nios II EDS. 

But i need to have this software to start automatically after SOF is loaded (need to have soft in the onchip memory). So I generated onchip_mem.hex and recompiled the project in Quartus. 

After i had downloaded the sof to the chip I didn't see something was happening in the chip. 

So I've opened the nios2-terminal. And as soon as I opened the nios2-terminal the program launched - LED started to flash and the rest. 

I have no idea what is going on. I seems that the software is in onchip mem but why it doesn't start until i start nios terminal. 

I have reset of sopc builder connected to vcc. Nios reset and exception vectors are in onchip mem - can't have them in ddr2 since i'm testing it. 

Could somebody point me where should i look? 

Thanks, 

U.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I assume you are using jtag-uart for stdin, stdout and stderr? 

Try to select another uart in the BSP editor, it might be the jtag-uart is waiting for connection.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

mcr42, 

Yes, i'm able to run from on-chip mem after i removed jtag-uart from the stdin, stdout and stderr in the BSP editor settings. Thank you very much for help! 

But it looks strange to me. I did several designs in Quartus II 9.0 with soft running from onchip mem and I had jtag uart in STD without any problems.  

I can't see any difference except now i use quartus ii 91 sp2 and new nios ii environment, and i don't use a timer in my project.  

Is there any issues with jtag waiting for connection in the new versions of Quartus? 

Thanks, 

U.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think u can add a epcs controller to your SOPC system, reset set to epcs controller, exception set to onchip-ram. then use flash programmer to program sof and elf to epcs... 

try it...
0 Kudos