Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16605 Discussions

Questions about Clock Control Block, Clock Divider and TimeQuest

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

My design is like this: a 50MHZ clock inputs to one the PLLs in Cyclone III, the PLL will generate a 240MHZ that will pass through a CCB( Clock Control Block) for global clock network. Then the 240MHZ will be divided by 4 (via synchronous counter) to generate a 60MHZ FPGA_CLOCK, divided by 6(again via synchronous counter) to generate 40MHZ (the clock is actually programmable for 20MHZ, 30MHZ, 40MHZ and 60MHZ) ADC_CLOCK; The FPGA_CLOCK and ADC_CLOCK will pass a multiplexer(2:1) and a CCB to clock dual-port RAM. The FPGA_CLOCK will pass through a CCB to clcok internal registers. The ADC_CLOCK will pass through a CCB the a ouput pin to clock external ADC. 

Here is my questions: 

1) Are these Clock Control Blocks absolutely needed? 

2) With TimeQuest, only the 50MHZ can be constrained by create_clock, and all other clocks should be constrained by create_generated_clock. Is this correct? 

3) When a clock passes through a CCB, should I constrain its input and output clocks seperately? For example, in my design, the PLL output (240MHZ) passes through a CCB to clock dividers. I have "derive_pll_clocks" to constrain PLL's output that is the CCB's input. in sdc file already. Should I include the following sentence to constrain the CCB's output? 

create_generated_clock -name CLK_240MHZ -source [get_nets {mCLOCK|mPLL|altpll_component|auto_generated|wire_pll1_clk[0]}] [get_nets {mCLOCK|mPLL_BUF|clk_ctl_altclkctrl_9nd_component|wire_clkctrl1_outclk}] 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Why don't you use a single PLL ? 

Timequest will be able to better identify the clocks, and your circuit will have improved timing.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear CurrentSensor,  

first, I suggest you follow Amilcar's suggestion: use the PLL to generate the multiple clocks (each Cyclone III PLL can generate 5 clocks) instead of the dividers, as much as possible. 

Second, there's a CCB for each clock distribution network. Even if you don't use the ALT_CLKCTRL block, the CCB clocks will go through the CCBs.  

Third,  

you should use the CCB to perform clock multiplexing. 

Fourth 

yes, you need to use create_generated_clock for the generated clocks. 

Fifth,  

I'm not sure TimeQuest will automatically handle the clock multiplexing done by the CCB. If it doesn't, check the 2nd clock multiplexing example: 

http://www.altera.com/support/examples/timequest/exm-tq-clock-mux.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Dear CurrentSensor,  

first, I suggest you follow Amilcar's suggestion: use the PLL to generate the multiple clocks (each Cyclone III PLL can generate 5 clocks) instead of the dividers, as much as possible. 

Cyclone III PLL can generate 5 clocks, but can you use all 5 at the same time? I looked at Figure 5-1. Clock Control Block at page 5-5 of the Handbook, only 2 of 5 can be routed to CCB, and then only one may be selected to go through Global network, am I missing anything here? May the 5 outputs of one PLL be routed to 5 different CCBs at the same time?  

Second, there's a CCB for each clock distribution network. Even if you don't use the ALT_CLKCTRL block, the CCB clocks will go through the CCBs.  

Do you mean a CCB will automatically be used by Quartus II for a clock signal? So ALT_CLKCTRL is not necessary at all? 

Third,  

you should use the CCB to perform clock multiplexing. 

By looking at Figure 5-1, if clock inputs are from FPGA clock pins or PLL outputs, then we can use CCB as a multiplexer. otherwise it's impossible, right?  

Fourth 

yes, you need to use create_generated_clock for the generated clocks. 

Assume a clock is generated by internal logic, and in order to use global clock network, it has to pass through a CCB, right? (Do we need to use ALT_CLKCTRL in this case?) After the clock pass through a CCB, should it be treated as a generated clock and constrained? In other words, does the TimeQuest think a CCB changes clock timing? 

Fifth,  

I'm not sure TimeQuest will automatically handle the clock multiplexing done by the CCB. If it doesn't, check the 2nd clock multiplexing example: 

By looking at the RTL schematic, the multiplexer is not implemented with a CCB.  

--- Quote End ---  

I'm a newbie in Altera FPGA. Sorry for these dumm questions and thank you for your helping.
0 Kudos