Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

nios ii assembly language programming

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello  

please can anyone tell me if there exist a way ( a software :D )to compile and execute nios ii assembly language programs but without having the DE2 board because i'm learning the assembly language of the nios ii but i don't have access for the board and for practice i need to try and execute some programs.. 

thank you ;) 

Regards
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Altera has a Nios II Instruction Set Simulator (ISS), although I don't think it is officially supported anymore. I only ever tried to use it once briefly, so I don't know much about it. If you do a search for it, you can probably find more info. You can also run "nios2-iss --help" in the Nios console for some info.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank you Kevin for your answer:) but i'm wondering :confused: if this nios II instruction set simulator exits as a free software by itself ....because i know it is included in the nios ide which requires target hardware but alone i don't know ?? 

thanks for any help:) 

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The ISS does not require target hardware. As far as I know it is not available as a separate download separate from the rest of Nios II EDS. It is one of the available options when managing debug configuration is Nios II IDE.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank you kevin for this quick answer :)  

i'll try to look for tutorials concerning the nios ii ide because i'm new to it in order to find how to use the nios ii ISS directly ... 

please if u know a good link that'll help me let me know  

thank you very much ;)
0 Kudos