Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

NIOS IDE suddenly refuses to build!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Folks- 

I have a NIOS project that has built in NIOS IDE many times successfully over the past year. It's been about 2 months since I last built it. Today I went to build it (right click project and pick "Build Project") and I get this error on the Console tab: 

Error in build: 

(Exec error:Launching failed) 

There's no additional information that I can find. There's not much of a clue in that. 

I'm using NIOS II IDE version 10.0. 

Has anyone seen that before? How can I fix it? 

Thanks, John Speth
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try checking your path.. It's possible something messed up that path, and it can't find all the components anymore.. 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi Folks- 

I have a NIOS project that has built in NIOS IDE many times successfully over the past year. It's been about 2 months since I last built it. Today I went to build it (right click project and pick "Build Project") and I get this error on the Console tab: 

Error in build: 

(Exec error:Launching failed) 

Has anyone seen that before? How can I fix it? 

Thanks, John Speth 

--- Quote End ---  

For the benefit of the next guy that suffers through this problem, I've solved the problem and I'll report my fix here. 

There seemed to be a corrupt control file in my NIOS directory. My solution was to wipe out the entire directory tree, create a new empty project, and import the source files back into the new project. It built just like before after that. 

There are so many files as part of each project that it was pointless to find out which one(s) were corrupt and how they got that way. Which brings me to my rant about Eclipse. Why does Eclipse need to be so cumbersome? Even Altera tech support was completely unable to help. Why do tool vendors jump headlong into such a poorly and over designed solution? Obviously the advantage is cost but I think the customer pays a painful price and that reflects poorly on the vendor. This has been my second experience with Eclipse (before QNX Momentics and now NIOS) and both experiences have been overall negative. 

Down with Eclipse! 

JJS
0 Kudos