Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16605 Discussions

Internal Error: Sub-system: MEM, mem_segment.cpp

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey Guys, 

has anyone seen this error? 

------------------------- 

Internal Error: Sub-system: MEM, File: /quartus/ccl/mem/mem_segment.cpp, Line: 766 

Attempting to allocate 1207959536 bytes 

------------------------- 

This happens when I run synthesis, I have created a service request about 10 days ago but no response yet.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sometimes an application error can be provoked by source code changes. Try going back a few edits to find out when the 'crash' appears and then take a good deep look at your code. 

Maybe your system hasn't got enough free memory for the task at hand. In Windows you can open the Task manager and watch the memory allocation in the 'Performance' panel.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Josyb, 

I checked the code multiple times, but I really can't see any problem. 

My machine has 24GB of RAM. What happens is that, when I run synthesis, after a couple of minutes, the memory usage goes as high as 17GB, and then I get this message, I tried both windows and linux versions and get the same error
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I only have a modest 3GB machine ... 

So you must be doing a big design? 

Looks like the synthesis gets caught in a loop, and that is a result of your source code. Were you able to completely compile your project at an earlier stage before the error popped up? 

Until now I have always been able to either just restart Quartus, or to backtrack on my code and then spot the error.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

what version and device family are you using? 

are you certain the 64-bit applications have been used?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using Stratix IV EP4SGX530, Quartus 64 -bit 10.0 SP1. 

A smaller design synthesized fine with 70% resource utilization. I just increased the number of some internal modules. 

Yes I am pretty sure this is the 64-bit version, it uses up to 17GB of RAM before crashing.  

I really hope they are working on my case ;)
0 Kudos