Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20703 Discussions

Why TINY FEMALE JTAG header on DM6467T EVM for programming Altera CPLD?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This question is with respect to the Texas Instruments TMS320DM6467T EVM, called HD 1080p by Spectrum Digital. For in circuit programming of the Altera CPLD (EPM240GT100C5N), a 10 position header should be used for "JTAG Mode" or "PS Mode". The EVM has a 5x2 header that's FEMALE and TINY, Samtec p/n SFM-105-02-S-D-A-K-TR. Why? My initial research on the Altera website suggests a regular 0.100" pitch 5x2 MALE header. This would fit the USB-Blaster Download Cable's matching connector. Note that the EVM has two other regular headers, so why is this such a tiny one? Was there a different programming attachment? Did the board designer feel there wasn't room? (I think there is room.) Not knowing why this tiny female header was used makes me worry that I'm missing something! 

Thanks very much for your advice. 

(By the way, does anyone know if it's possible to use Spectrum Digital's XDS510 model USB JTAG device in place of Altera's USB-Blaster Download Cable?)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I guess, the 10-pin SFM connector is a Spectrum Digital factory standard. That means, they have adapters to standard 0.1" header or specialized programmers available and use the connector in all projects. Unfortunately you need an adapter to access the connector. But it's apparently not intended for frequent usage, because it's not mentioned at all in the reference manual. 

The Spectrum Digital's USB JTAG adapter has nothing in common with the Altera USB Blaster, except for the name jtag. If the SD programmer tools have an option to program vendor independant JTAG file formats to devices, there may be a principle way to use it with the MAX II device, but generation of the file will be the first issue. I e.g. once managed to write an Atmel processor with an Altera Adapter for test, converting the hex-file to SVF and then to JAM. Long-winded and slow.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thx, FvM. So should I just use a regular 5x2 0.100" header as illustrated on page 2-4 of the USB-Blaster Download Cable User's Guide? 

And that will be able to program, right? 

Will it be able to debug, too? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You have to make an 0.1" to 0.05" adapter, the pin assignment is identical to Altera as far as I see, but you should double check the correct position of pin 1 respectively VCC pin 4. 

You should be able to program the MAX II device, debugging with MAX II is limited to Source & Probe tool and depending on the availiability of unused LEs in the design.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

...I thought you mis-typed, but I finally get it. You speak of adapting. No, I'm designing a new board, so in the design I'll replace the tiny (you assumed 0.05" pitch) header with a standard header (0.100" pitch). No adapter required. I've already checked pin positions. 

Acknowledge on the debugging. 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I'm designing a new board.  

--- Quote End ---  

You didn't mention this at all.
0 Kudos