Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

MaxPlus 2: compiling errors

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone, i am berni69 and I'm studing telematics with our software, but like all the begginers in a new field, i have some mistake's programming in vhdl. For this reason the compiler show me errors that i could solve, all except one. 

I want you help me if it's possible. Thanks, now I will paste my code: 

library ieee; USE Ieee.Std_Logic_1164.All; Entity mod_tr IS Port (Data: IN Std_Logic_Vector(3 Downto 0);Recepcio,Tr,Clk,Start: IN std_logic; Transmissio: OUT std_logic; Reg_Entrada: OUT Std_Logic_Vector(3 Downto 0)); END Mod_Tr; Architecture Comportament OF Mod_Tr IS --signal: s0,s1,clr,qm,qn,qo,qp: bit; signal clr: std_logic; signal contador: integer range 0 to 4; BEGIN process (start,clk,clr)--contador variable n: integer range 0 to 4; begin n:=contador; if clk'event and clk='1'then if start='1' or clr='1' then n:=0; elsif contador/=4 then n:=n+1; elsif contador=4 then clr<='1'; end if; end if; contador <= n; end process; process (clk, clr, data, tr, recepcio) variable shift: Std_Logic_Vector(3 Downto 0); begin if clk'event and clk='1' then if clr='1' then shift:=data; elsif tr='1' then --transmitim=> desplaçament a la dreta shift(0):=shift(1); shift(1):=shift(2); shift(2):=shift(3); shift(3):='0'; elsif tr='0' then --rebem => desplaçara l'esquerral shift(0):=recepcio; shift(1):=shift(0); shift(2):=shift(1); shift(3):=shift(2); end if; end if; reg_entrada<=shift; transmissio<= shift(0); end process; In the first proccess i get the error: 

"else clause following a clock edge must hold the state of signal n" 

The line is: 

if clk'event and clk='1'then 

Lot of thanks!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The error message isn't fully correct, because there is no else clause to the clock edge condition. Quartus gives a better understandable message.  

--- Quote Start ---  

Error (10818): Can't infer register for "n[0]" at mod_tr.vhd(22) because it does not hold its value outside the clock edge 

--- Quote End ---  

The code can be compiled, when you change it like this: 

process (start,clk,clr)--contador variable n: integer range 0 to 4;for the begin if clk'event and clk='1'then n:=contador; if start='1' or clr='1' then n:=0; elsif contador/=4 then n:=n+1; elsif contador=4 then clr<='1'; end if; contador <= n; end if; end process; 

You can write the same logic without the variable n. I don't think, that the code works as expected, because the signal clr is only set but never reset.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ohh thanks!! with your help i solved my problem!!

0 Kudos