Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

Save NIOS II Console view to file

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

i'm creating a ; seperated output in the NIOS II Console with printf-function... 

Is there a possibilty to save this output to a file?  

Copy&Paste will also be fine, but is not working. 

Rgrds
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Copy&Paste will also be fine, but is not working. 

--- Quote End ---  

Why not? 

In the Console pane you right click and Select All or simply select what you need. 

Right click and Copy 

Then Paste on Notepad or whatever
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't want to copy the normal Console view. The output of printf-function is redirectet to "NIOS II Console", there it is not possible to copy&paste...I'm using NIOS II IDE 10.1cb

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Doesn't seem to work in my 9.1, either. 

Can you redirect stdin and stdout to a serial port and use a regular terminal program?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I don't want to copy the normal Console view. The output of printf-function is redirectet to "NIOS II Console", there it is not possible to copy&paste...I'm using NIOS II IDE 10.1cb 

--- Quote End ---  

I meet the same problem with you. 

10.1 SP1's "Nios ii console" is stupid.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using 8.0. I found that if you launch manually Nios2-terminal.exe from a DOS prompt you can redirect output to a file with ">". 

I hope this tricky is useful for you. 

Ciao
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I'm using 8.0. I found that if you launch manually Nios2-terminal.exe from a DOS prompt you can redirect output to a file with ">". 

I hope this tricky is useful for you. 

Ciao 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank Paolobbi. I will take a try.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a very nice trick: 

1) Minimize the Nios II Console window 

2) Restore the Nios II Console window 

3) Now you can do Copy and Paste (but only once) 

Ciao. 

Bernardo
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Quartus comes with the Nios II Command Shell. To capture all terminal output, simply open this command shell. Ensure you can see the FPGA by typing "jtagconfig". Then navigate to where you want to save the file. 

Type "nios2-terminal.exe > ./{directory and name of output file}" Nothing will show, but if you locate and open the file you redirected to, you will see all the terminal output saved. Using >> instead of > will append changes to the end of the file.