Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16559 Discussions

Quartus 10 - Where are Vector Waveform Files?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I used to debug my designs with a .vwf file. With Quartus II - v9 one can create a vwf file with Menu/New/Other files/Vector Waveform file. 

I can't find it in the new version of Quartus. Could anyone help me? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

They removed the simulator in Quartus 10. They expect you to either use modelsim or some other simulator now.. 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For a beginner who has only used vwf is there a good (simple) tutorial or similar info to get started with modelsim? There is a lot of small detail to try to remember in Q II and it is challenging until habit takes over. 

Jack
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I hav e installed the ModelSimAltera Starter edition (v10.0c) with Quartus 11.1 and it seems to have no waveform drawing functions. In terms of quickly verifying function and timing it is WAY WORSE than the old built in simulator. What is going on?  

Am I missing sometrhing in editing those waveforms.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ModelSim + Testbench

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Writing a testbench can be done just as quickly as creating a waveform. 

HDL is WAY more powerful for verification overall.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I Agree with tricky. A test bench is the way to go. 

Learning Verilog or VHDL will be a great help both in your design and test bench. 

I have a simple "CPU" emulator (since most of my designs have a external CPU in the system), that I use over and over again. 

It simply reads a hex file for some simple functions (Read/Write registers, wait for signal, etc) 

If you want, you could have a hex file that simulated all the inputs to the chip and use it like a vector waveform. 

In verilog, the $readmemh is the command to look into. 

Pete
0 Kudos