Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

tri-state bus inside FPGA.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all.  

I have a local bus in my design. (System Verilog). 

interface regs_if(input clk, input rstn); logic tx_data; logic rx_data; logic tx_addr; logic rx_addr; logic wr; logic be; endinterfaceI have a lots of modules  

module artem_regrw_m# ( parameter ADDR )( output reg data, output be_wr, regs_if regs ); …. endmodule;So, I can specify address of this module on bus etc.  

Now I need add a read delay. If data in this module is not ready I will up signal ws.  

But I will one signal ws for all modules. I will not make individual ws signal for each module and connect all of this modules with OR.  

Also quartus say for string: 

assign regs.tx_data = (ADDR == regs.tx_addr)?data:{64{1'bz}}; 

--- Quote Start ---  

Warning: Tri-state node(s) do not directly drive top-level pin(s).  

--- Quote End ---  

And. If regs.tx_addr is not compare to any ADDR I'm read {64{1'b1}}; But I will {32'BADADDR0,regs.tx_addr}; How can I make this? 

--- Quote Start ---  

assign regs.tx_data = (ADDR[19:3] == regs.tx_addr[19:3])?data:regs.tx_data; 

assign regs.tx_data |= (ADDR[19:3] == regs.tx_addr[19:3])?data:{64{1'b0}}; 

--- Quote End ---  

is't working.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Warning: Tri-state node(s) do not directly drive top-level pin(s). 

--- Quote End ---  

Internal tri-state busses are only virtual. They are translated to multiplexers by Quartus. You have to take care, that the select condition for inidividual tri-state drivers connected to the "bus" are mutual exclusive, otherwise you get a "multiple net driver" error. 

You'll always get some warnings with internal tri-state, that's the price of convenience. And they consume a lot of LUT and routing resources in a design. But that's basically the same with other bus topologies as the unidirectional bus used by SOPC builder.  

--- Quote Start ---  

But I will {32'BADADDR0,regs.tx_addr}; 

--- Quote End ---  

You have to decode the condition, that no other bus interface is activated. It should work somehow, but seems like a kind of wasting resources in my view.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You'll always get some warnings with internal tri-state, that's the price of convenience. And they consume a lot of LUT and routing resources in a design. 

--- Quote End ---  

Looks like I can use wired or (wor). But looks like it's don't work in quartus.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

gs_if(input clk, input rstn); wor tx_data; logic rx_data; logic tx_addr; logic rx_addr; logic wr; logic be; endinterface assign regs.tx_data = (ADDR == regs.tx_addr)?data:{64{1'b0}};  

It's not work. Quartus bug?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It's not work. Quartus bug? 

--- Quote End ---  

You don't report erroneous behaviour or a compilation error. What are you talking about? 

--- Quote Start ---  

Looks like I can use wired or 

--- Quote End ---  

I'm not aware of "wired or" as a VHDL feature. Where do you see this option? There may be possibly a way by defining resolution functions...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

http://quartushelp.altera.com/9.1/mergedprojects/hdl/vlog/vlog_support_data_types.htm 

--- Quote Start ---  

Wired Nets (wor, wand,trior, and triand Nets) - Supported 

--- Quote End ---  

By this. I'm change  

logic [63:0] tx_data; 

to  

wor [63:0] tx_data; 

and. (inside other module) 

from 

assign regs.tx_data = (ADDR[19:3] == regs.tx_addr[19:3])?data:{64{1'bz}};  

to  

assign regs.tx_data = (ADDR[19:3] == regs.tx_addr[19:3])?data:{64{1'b0}}; 

But quartus  

Error: Net "......", which fans out to " ..... ", cannot be assigned more than one value
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for clarifying. I was erroneously assuming you're working with VHDL. VHDL would require to define explicite resolution functions for wired or, but it's actually a built-in Verilog feature.  

I'm not aware of possible Quartus limitations in using wired net types across module boundaries. From the Verilog specification, it's clear that wired net types are intended to be connected through module ports, see e.g. the table "Net types resulting from dissimilar port connections". 

I would try with a test code, that uses wor inside a module, and then extend it for multiple modules. Either there's a problem in your usage of the wired net constructs, or the claimed support is not valid for module ports.
0 Kudos