Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16611 Discussions

Quartus License Expiration and ModelSim Starter limitation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have Altera Quartus II Subscription Edition, and on the License setup dialog it says License Expiration is 2011.02, expire in February 2011. I wonder if February is counted at the beginning of the month or at the end of month. Does anyone here know about that? 

And Also, ModelSim Altera Starter Edition has several limitations as we know, one of them is executable lines limitation is set to 10,000. If I have VHDL code with several components, total code lines for all component for example 2,000 lines, but there is a component that instantiated 10 times in my design, and this component has 1,000 lines of code. What will happen if I try to compile this code in ModelSim Altera Starter Edition? Is it compiled? or not compiled because each component instantiation count as another line of code. 

How? 

Thanks for any kind of help...
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't think that instantiating a component twice will double the line count as seen by Modelsim. 

Don't forget that you can still use the subscription editions of Quartus and Modelsim after February 2011. The only thing that you can't do with an expired license is install new versions of the software, but as long as you use 10.0/10.1 it will be fine. (you also get an annoying nag each time you launch Quartus, but you can live with that ;) )
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, 

--- Quote Start ---  

The only thing that you can't do with an expired license is install new versions of the software, but as long as you use 10.0/10.1 it will be fine 

--- Quote End ---  

So One year license means we can use software forever and free upgrade for one year? and what do you mean with "as long as you use 10.0/10.1 it will be fine?" Currently I use Altera Quartus II version 9.1 SP1. Will it be problem? Should I upgrade it into latest version? Also, is it same for ModelSim-Altera Edition? 

Thanks again... :) Sorry for my many question...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry, of course versions of Quartus/Modelsim Altera prior to the license expiration date will work, so you can keep on using 9.1

0 Kudos