Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Quartus Prime 16.1: Cannot Edit PCIe BAR widths!!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using Quartus Prime 16.1 on Windows, targeting Arria 10. Although I also encountered the problem on the Linux version. For some reason when I add the "Hard IP for PCI Express" I cannot edit the widths/size of any of the BARs, neither in the initial wizard window nor in the Parameter window after it has been added to the Qsys project. 

No matter what parameters I set, the BAR cannot be edited, and as a result it produces an unfixable error. 

I even tried manually editing the backing *.ip file but the change is not reflected in the GUI. 

Anybody encounter this? Or at least has anybody confirmed a version of the software where this ISN'T a problem? 

Screenshot attached. You can see the field greyed out.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had the same difficulty with Quartus 17.0 and 17.1. 

The BAR size is set by going to the "View->Exported Interfaces" menu item, finding the avmm interface associated with the BAR (rxm_bar0 for example) and setting the address_width parameter.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I ran into this. The fix is that you need to go into Address Mapping and set the addresses first. 

For example, for me bar[4] goes to two instances. In address mapping, I set the addresses as follows: 

instance 1: 0x0000_0000_0000_0000-0x0000_0000_0000_001F 

instance 2: 0x0000_0000_0000_8000-0x0000_0000_0000_801F  

Then I went back into the HIP instantiation, and toggled between IO Bar and 64-bit prefetchable BAR. The 64-bit prefetchable BAR address width now changed from 5 to 16. (bit 15 is set in the address... it doubles the address space by setting bit 16).
0 Kudos