Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20640 Discussions

Problem with programming the M25P32 using a Jam file

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I have a rather difficult problem. I need to program a serial config device (that is used to configure an EP3C55) using third party software (Goepel CASCON, not Quartus II). The only way this is practical is to do it using a .jam file. 

The M25P32 device by ST is not officially supported by the Altera as a serial config device and so whenever I try to program with the jam file then it gives an error that says that it did not recognise the Silicon ID.  

I have tried everything to get this to work and the only thing that seems like it will work is if I can edit the jam file manually so that the Silicon ID is either not read at all, or if I can change the silicon ID that the jam file recognises. Please note that it is not so simple as to set the "Disable device ID check" option when I generate the initial jic file. This does not change anything for the jam file that is created afterwards i.e. the jam file is generated to always check the silicon ID. 

It is very difficult to follow what is going on in the jam file due to all the variable names being either A[XXX] or V[XXX] - making it completely unreadable. Is there anyone that can provide guidelines on how I can fix this or provide some alternative? I would really appreciate it. Thanks. 

Regards
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello! 

Problem solved thanks to Altera support. Carry out these steps in order to create a jam file that is compatible with the M25P32. 

1. In your Quartus/bin directory create a file called “quartus.ini” 

2. In the quartus.ini file write: “pgm_allow_epcs32=on”. This allows you to create jic files that will program an EPCS32 device, even though they don’t really exist. 

3. Create a .jic file that uses the epcs32 device. 

4. From the jic file you can then create a jam file in the programmer that has no conflicts with the silicon id of the M25P32. 

Hope this helps someone else! 

Regards.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Has anyone been able to get this to work?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Has anyone been able to get this to work? 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Randy 

The solution that I proposed above works. I have tested on all Quartus version 9 to 11 without a problem. It is possible that it no longer works on the later versions, but with a cursory check it appears to be working on v13 too.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi Randy 

The solution that I proposed above works. I have tested on all Quartus version 9 to 11 without a problem. It is possible that it no longer works on the later versions, but with a cursory check it appears to be working on v13 too. 

--- Quote End ---  

I tried this a year or so ago and as I remember I got a "EPCS32" choice in the Configuration device box of the Convert programming files menu. I can not get that choice now. I have tried on QUARTUS 9.1 and 13.1
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I tried this a year or so ago and as I remember I got a "EPCS32" choice in the Configuration device box of the Convert programming files menu. I can not get that choice now. I have tried on QUARTUS 9.1 and 13.1 

--- Quote End ---  

Have you recently upgraded to a newer version of Quartus? When Quartus installs a new version, it will create an entirely new folder, so you will have to find the new directory for the version that you are using and add a quartus.ini file in the bin directory there too. Additionally, if you are using a 64-bit operating system then the .ini file should be placed in the bin64 folder. 

To be consistent, keep a copy of the quartus.ini file in each bin folder of each version.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank You, placing the quartus.ini in the bin64 folder did the trick

0 Kudos