Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

DDR2 Read Issue in Cyclone III

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've instantiated a DDR2 SDRAM HPC using a Cyclone III. We've simulated the design and it works as expected. Using the hardware and SignalTap, I can do a write, and see the data on the mem_dq lines. When I do a read, I see the data come back on the mem_dq lines but the data is never on the local_rdata(255:0) bus. I believe the Quartus II version is 9.1. We are also using the half-data rate version. The DDR2 SDRAM is a PC-5300, 4GB Micron SO-DIMM. I'm thinking that I have a DDR2 controller issue. We are passing calibration because the ctl_cal_sucess line is high and local_init_done goes high after that. 

Any thoughts? Any one else seeing this? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello dtschindel, 

I would like to ask you if you could solve this problem. If yes, How did you solve it? 

I am having the same situation. 

local_rdata = zero 

Thanks in advance,  

Juan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Juan, 

We could never get the Altera DDR2 Controller to work. We ended up writing our own DDR2 Controller for the Cyclone III.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello dtschindel, 

...about the simulation and the local_rdata bus. 

In my case I didn't see any data because I was forgetting to use the memory model in the Quartus II settings. 

After I added the simulation model together with the test_bench file, I could see the local_rdata working. 

Maybe is interesting for you. 

Regards, 

Juan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hallo, 

I am writing again to update my last comment. 

What I wrote previously is valid for:  

<variation name>_example_top_tb.vhd 

<variation name>_mem_model.vhd 

However, I was trying use my own test bench just using the memory model. Then It did not work. 

Apparently the solution to this is to modify the _example_top_tb.vhd and integrate it with your design. Or read carefully this testbench and add all the memory parameters for the functional simulation. 

Right now I am testing and at least there is result from the local_rdata bus in simulation. However, it is not stable. After few microseconds it is now showing any result. 

I am a bit confused with this simulation. However there must be a solution. 

Regards, 

Juan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello again, 

I just wanted to add the simulation error. 

Maybe if someone else has had this problem can give me a hand. 

Find attached the simulation wave.https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6692  

Regards, 

Juan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I can think of two possibilities for those 'X':[list][*]you have a second driver in your testbench that forces a different value for local_rdata[*]you are reading an address that hasn't been initialized[/list]Do you have any error message or warning in the Modelsim console?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear Daixiwen, 

Thanks for your reply. 

I have tried both. 

1. I added by hand all the necessary files (from the memory controller ip core) and made sure that no other driver was interfering. 

2. About the reading addresses. I am simply incrementing the address by 2. The address has this format: BANK-ROW-COL 

I would like to ask you for a further explanation of the address initialization. Maybe I still don't have this clear. 

In the Modelsim console I only get warning messages. 

Regards, 

Juan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I forgot to write something, 

I get an error after a while that stops the simulation. 

This is the error: 

# ** Failure: --- Data could not be written, increase array depth or use full memory model ---  

I have tried to change the memory_model to the full_memory_model but is not working. Is not even compiling. 

Regards, 

Juan
0 Kudos