Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

Generic shift register

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I would like to create a shift register of multiple delay as depicted in the picture joined. 

The following code is an example with 3 registers of 8 bits. 

library IEEE; use IEEE.std_logic_1164.all; entity ShiftRegister is port ( clock : in std_logic; reset : in std_logic; x0 : in std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); x3 : out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0) ); end ShiftRegister; architecture arch_ShiftRegister of ShiftRegister is signal x1 : std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); signal x2 : std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); begin process(reset, clock) begin if reset = '1' then x1 <= (others => '0'); x2 <= (others => '0'); x3 <= (others => '0'); elsif rising_edge(clock) then x1 <= x0; x2 <= x1; x3 <= x2; end if; end process; end architecture arch_ShiftRegister; The problem is that in the real application, there will be about 50 registers, so I would like to avoid to copy 50 times the same lines (moreover I would like that the number of registers be configurable with a generic value). 

I think this is possible with the for generate instruction, but I have never use it and I am not comfortable with it. I have looked for examples in books, but I still didn't get how to use it for what I want to do. 

Does anybody can help and provide such code ? 

Thanks in advance 

Jérôme
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No need for generate loop at all. just add a generic and use attributes: 

library IEEE; use IEEE.std_logic_1164.all; entity ShiftRegister is generic ( N_REGS : integer ); port ( clock : in std_logic; reset : in std_logic; x0 : in std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); x3 : out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0) ); end ShiftRegister; architecture arch_ShiftRegister of ShiftRegister is type slv_array_t is array(0 to N_REGS-1) of std_logic_vector(x0'range); signal sr : slv_array_t; begin process(reset, clock) begin if reset = '1' then sr <= (others => (others => '0')); elsif rising_edge(clock) then sr <= x0 & sr(0 to sr'high-1) end if; end process; x3 <= sr(sr'high); end architecture arch_ShiftRegister;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Tricky, 

I just browse the quartus template and find it also. I didn't get that it could be directly done using an array of vector. 

Thank you.
0 Kudos