Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20684 Discussions

ALTGX for A2GX always outputs K28.5- ?!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I perform an RTL simulation (ModelSim) of an ALTGX transmitter-only for an Arria II GX. The transmitter is set to take a 20-bit input. I use Basic mode, 4 lanes unbonded. After I release powerdown and resets the proper way (see attachment), the PLL will lock normally. 

The problem is that the ALTGX ignores the 20-bit data I feed to its input and goes on outputting over and over K28.5- (0101111100). 

Help!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have found a solution to my problem. On the contrary to what is told in the A2GX manual (Figure 4-3), tx_digitalreset must NOT be deasserted right after pll_locked goes to 1 but some delay must be added. 

I delayed 16 clocks (@ 100 MHz) tx_digitalreset deassertion after pll_locked goes high. The ALTGX now quits outputting K.28.5- and K.28.6- and starts outputting the real data I am feeding to it. 

Great that I found it, sad that, once again, I'm losing time fixing somebody else's bugs.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The same problem with simulating altgx 3gb/s 1 lane 16bit+8b/10b basic mode transmitter+receiver cyclone iv gx. 

The receiver works fine after correct initialization procedure, transmitter do not. I have added pause, like you, but no success, it is in stuck state. 

The initializing procedure: (timescale = 1ps) 

initial begin gxb_powerdown <= 0; pll_areset <= 0; rx_analogreset <= 0; rx_digitalreset <= 0; tx_digitalreset <= 0; # 10000 gxb_powerdown <= 1; pll_areset <= 1; rx_analogreset <= 1; rx_digitalreset <= 1; tx_digitalreset <= 1; # 1000000 pll_areset <= 0; gxb_powerdown <= 0; wait( pll_locked) repeat( 300) @ (posedge tx_clkout); tx_digitalreset <= 0; wait( ~busy) repeat( 3) @ (posedge tx_clkout); rx_analogreset <= 0; wait( rx_freqlocked)# 4000000 rx_digitalreset <= 0; end 

This - "wait( pll_locked) repeat( 300) @ (posedge tx_clkout)" do not help. 

There is no required pause in handbook's description.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Got it done. 

It was just a misprint in TB code.
0 Kudos