Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Linux w/ MMU on 2C35

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have an older 2C25 Nios II Cyclone II demo board (~2008 or so) 

I have been running uClinux on a variant of that board. Very few issues. It was a mess getting it going, though. 

I am now looking at the MMU. The goal, basically, would be to be able to write, compile and run C++ code using the "new" operator. I would like dynamic memory allocation, basically. 

This forum suggests there are a lot of unresolved issues. I can't even build the toolchain - though it seems I don't need to. I rely on the community drivers for Ethernet and Compact Flash. 

Should I bother with the MMU version, or should I stick with my 2008 version of uClinux and standard C code? I have some dealines, but am willing to endure a little pain if it will result in a better system than what I have. 

TIA,
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

While MMU hardware improves the memory allocation algorithem a lot, C++ and (of course malloc() ) is possible withou an MMU.  

Drivers are not part of the tool chain, and so you can use any driver available in source code with the binary tool chain. 

AFAIK, the tool chain in source code for MMU is being reworked right now. 

-Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

While MMU hardware improves the memory allocation algorithem a lot, C++ and (of course malloc() ) is possible withou an MMU.  

Drivers are not part of the tool chain, and so you can use any driver available in source code with the binary tool chain. 

AFAIK, the tool chain in source code for MMU is being reworked right now. 

-Michael 

--- Quote End ---  

What time the toolchain for MMU can release?
0 Kudos