Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Configuring Altera Cyclone using XJTAG???Is it Possible!!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi , 

I am kind of New bee to Altera FPGA configuration, My goal is to test the Cyclone FPGA(EP1C6Q240) in the board, I am using XJTAG for testing. Apart from Boundary scan I have to test the configured functions of FPGA also. Actually this FPGA is configured by serial configuration device from the different board in the system.During testing I need to configure this device without that the serial configuration device meand through JTAG Port.In the document(Configuration and Testing)it says we can use byteblaster hardware for this.  

Is it possible to do the configuration using XJTAG hardware(XJLINK) and software?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Although I have not played with XJTAG or XJLINK, it is possible, but the problem is getting XJTAG to read and program the SOF file correctly. There are several conversion formats that are possible, but I do not know what XJLINK would recognize. On their website they mention XJDeveloper and XJRunner tools that would be used for this.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As far as I noticed from a casual sight, XJTAG is supporting SVF and JAM programming files. Some Altera tools are at least dealing with JAM (e.g. JAM player), you should be able to convert the files somehow. But you still won't have support for interactive Altera tools based on virtual JTAG communication, download of a volatile FPGA configuration without these seems to be of limited use in my view. Designing your own virtual JTAG tools would be a different thing.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Sshanmuga, 

The XJTAG tools can easily program the Altera FPGAs as well as test circuit boards. If you are still having problems, then open a support request with XJTAG who will be able to guide you through the process.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks to all. I am able to send serial vector data through XJTAG to altera FPGA. I got the support from XJTAG. There is a simple command called RunSVFfile in XJDeveloper.

0 Kudos