Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

timing simulation vs real

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

I am trying to compare a timing simulation (with specified pins) of a simple verilog XOR assignment in Quartus II to the actual timing on a Flex EPF10K70 device. That is to say, I am comparing a simulated v.s. real propagation delay between an input state change to output state change of the XOR function. 

I notice that the simulation shows a delay of approximately 27ns, but in hardware I see a consistent delay of only ~7.5ns for the same sequence (one input goes from low to high). 

Does anyone know why this might be? (Apologies: I am new to this) 

Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

27 ns sound very unlikely for Flex10K.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, that is what I thought too. I cant see why it should be that slow, going by the datasheet, and obviously the real thing is not that slow. I can make it simulate slightly faster by automatically selecting input/output pins but this yields a simulated 5ns improvement only (still >20ns for such a simple assignment). 

I tried repeating the experiment using an EPM3032ATC44-4 (4ns). Both the timing simulation and real device timing agree pretty well and both match the performance that I would expect. 

So is there maybe a setting somewhere for the FLEX device that I am missing? This is an early version of quartus II (v4).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes, that is what I thought too. I cant see why it should be that slow, going by the datasheet, and obviously the real thing is not that slow. I can make it simulate slightly faster by automatically selecting input/output pins but this yields a simulated 5ns improvement only (still >20ns for such a simple assignment). 

I tried repeating the experiment using an EPM3032ATC44-4 (4ns). Both the timing simulation and real device timing agree pretty well and both match the performance that I would expect. 

So is there maybe a setting somewhere for the FLEX device that I am missing? This is an early version of quartus II (v4). 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

what are the results of the timing analysis ?  

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos