Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16595 Discussions

Unable to display state machine in Quartus II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In my project I have some state machine. When I try to see them with the State Machine Viewer a message "Unable to display state machine transition diagram due to long processing time" appear and it's impossible to proceed. For me isn't important the processing time (it must do it for all the night), but it's important to view and verify the state machine transistion. Anyone have some idea??

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

do you have an extremly complicated state machine?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

One state machine have 10 states, one 12 and the last 14. For the latter two I cannot see the transitions. I think the problem is at transition level because this two state machine have a lot of transition from one state to some others.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

can you post code?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This the project and the FSM with the problem are InputFSM and Lat_FSM. 

Thanks 

Giovanni
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What version of Quartus are you using? 

It may be worth raising a my_support request on the altera website. 

Any particular reason you want to look at the state machine? have you tested it in modelsim?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The version of Quartus is 8.1. 

I tested the project on modelsim, but I what to view if there is a "dead" state that I haven't view or tested. And for documentation I do the state machine diagram for the next generation and if there is an automatic tool that drawn it for me it is more simple. 

Thanks 

Giovanni
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you tried updating you Q10.1?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Also in 10.1. no transitions are shown for a number of your state machines. If you could verify, that the state machines actually have transitions, you should ask support what is happening here.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just asked a Service Request; they told me that there is problably some technical problem on the State Machine Viewer. 

Thanks folks!! 

Giovanni
0 Kudos