Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Need help with ModelSim

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi. 

I need help in such situation: 

I have Transceiver Module. I want to connect 2 such modules and to simulate their work in ModelSim using testbench. Does anybody have ideas how to perfrom that?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Start by writing the testbench in VHDL or Verilog.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I already have testbench for transciever in VHDL. I think only way is to create in Quartus project where 2 transcievers are connected and to write testbench for it. But I'm not shure and want to know maybe there is any easier way.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You are right, connect Tx to Rx (loopback). Testbench to send word stimulus for Tx (vector of limited length, repeated). Tx serialises it and is connected directly to Rx. Testbench to check it receives the correct data at Rx from Tx side.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have found another way - to declare in test bench 2 instances of TxRxModule and connect them by using PORT MAP. 

Comparing with methods that were proposed by myself and kaz, this method gives ability to simulate not ideal module, but to take in account some CLKs missmatch (in real life CLKs frequencies never will be exact the same), time delays and other.
0 Kudos