Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

How to execute NIOS II Command Shell commands from a *.bat file

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is probably a simple solution to this, but I am having a hard time finding it in any of the documentation. 

I have four applications that I need to build for a single board. I can build the projects and create the hex files from within the Nios II Command Shell using "make" and "elf2hex". I would like to automate this process. Is there a way to do this with a *.bat file? 

Thanks, 

John
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

You can write a myscript.sh file : a shell file with same purpose than DOS batch (*.bat) file. 

Have a look at *.sh in nios directories. 

You can launch .sh file by (NOT TESTED, it is just an example):  

enter the command : sh (or bash) myscript.sh in the good directory 

or make it executable by chmod +x myscript.sh and launch it : ./myscript.sh in the good directory.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In this design example zip file under /software you will find a shell script that you can take a look at. If you just want to run a series of shell command then your script should be fairly short. If you edit it on Windows before running it make sure to run dos2unix on the file to make sure it has the correct new line formatting. 

http://www.altera.com/support/examples/nios2/exm-modular-scatter-gather-dma.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am not quite understanding the process here. I have made a *.sh file and can execute it from the NIOS II Command Shell, thanks for the help there. 

How can I run *.sh from windows or a *.bat file?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I did a quick test and this seemed to work. I wrote a one line batch file with this in it: 

C:\altera\10.1\nios2eds\"Nios II Command Shell.bat" nios2-terminal 

So the Nios II command shell opens and the command "nios2-terminal" is run. So instead of running the terminal you would call your script. So maybe something like this: 

C:\altera\10.1\nios2eds\"Nios II Command Shell.bat" sh <path to my_script.sh>/<my_script.sh>
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just tried the following and it just opens the command shell, but doesn't run the script 

C:\>"C:\altera\91\nios2eds\Nios II Command Shell.bat 

" sh "C:\altera\91\nios2eds\test.sh

------------------------------------------------ 

Welcome To Altera SOPC Builder 

Version 9.1, Built Wed Mar 24 22:13:17 PDT 2010 

Welcome to the Nios II Embedded Design Suite 

Version 9.1, Built Thu Mar 25 01:25:52 PDT 2010 

Example designs can be found in 

/cygdrive/c/altera/91/nios2eds/examples 

(You may add a startup script: c:/altera/91/nios2eds/user.bashrc) 

[NiosII EDS]$
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You'll need to use a different drive mapping than you are accustom to on windows. Something like this might work better: 

sh /cygdrive/c/altera/91/nios2eds/test.sh 

I would start with something simple like putting your script in the default location that the Nios II command shell opens at and then work in the path later once you have that working first. When you add the paths I recommend not putting the script in the ACDS installation directory since it's a good idea to keep your custom stuff separate.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have tried that too, here is the line straight from the bat file. 

"C:\altera\91\nios2eds\Nios II Command Shell.bat" sh /cygdrive/c/altera/91/nios2eds/test.sh 

It does not run the script when it opens, but if I type  

sh /cygdrive/c/altera/91/nios2eds/test.sh 

after the command shell starts, it will run the script. 

I am able to run a startup script by copying my script to: 

"C:\altera\91\nios2eds\user.bashrc

However I would hate to implement it that way.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here is my solution/workaround for now anyways. 

creatNiosApps.bat 

--------------------------------------------------------------- 

copy "C:\Development\Ethernet_ES\NIOS\test.sh" "C:\altera\91\nios2eds\user.bashrc

"C:\altera\91\nios2eds\Nios II Command Shell.bat" 

test.sh 

NIOS_DIR="C:/Development/Ethernet_ES/NIOS" 

mkdir $NIOS_DIR"/Hex_Files" 

make -C $NIOS_DIR"\software\output_app" clean 

make -C $NIOS_DIR"\software\output_app" all 

$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bin/elf2hex --base=0x41060000 --end=0x41067fff --width=8 --input=$NIOS_DIR"/software/output_app/output_app.elf" --output=$NIOS_DIR"/Hex_Files/output_app.hex" 

rm -rf "C:\altera\91\nios2eds\user.bashrc

exit 

-------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Thanks for all the help
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

"sh -c <command> [args]" might work a bit better. 

Most "bourne-like" shells behave this way. Since the Nios II shell environment is based on Bash ("Bourne Again SHell"), this should work. 

Cheers, 

slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Here is my solution/workaround for now anyways. 

creatNiosApps.bat 

copy "C:\Development\Ethernet_ES\NIOS\test.sh" "C:\altera\91\nios2eds\user.bashrc

"C:\altera\91\nios2eds\Nios II Command Shell.bat" 

test.sh 

NIOS_DIR="C:/Development/Ethernet_ES/NIOS" 

mkdir $NIOS_DIR"/Hex_Files" 

make -C $NIOS_DIR"\software\output_app" clean 

make -C $NIOS_DIR"\software\output_app" all 

$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bin/elf2hex --base=0x41060000 --end=0x41067fff --width=8 --input=$NIOS_DIR"/software/output_app/output_app.elf" --output=$NIOS_DIR"/Hex_Files/output_app.hex" 

rm -rf "C:\altera\91\nios2eds\user.bashrc

exit 

-------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Thanks for all the help 

--- Quote End ---  

Your quoting is all wrong.... 

You probably want to include the shell variable substitutions in "" (eg "$NIOS_DIR") not the literal text. This will ensure that any spaces or shell wildcard characters don't generate multiple parameters. 

You need to always use forward slashes /, in a shell script \ is a single character escape.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

"sh -c <command> [args]" might work a bit better. 

Most "bourne-like" shells behave this way. Since the Nios II shell environment is based on Bash ("Bourne Again SHell"), this should work. 

Cheers, 

slacker 

--- Quote End ---  

You don't need 'sh -c' here, that is usually only needed when you need a shell to do filename globbing or stdin/stdout redirection when a program is running something using one of the exec family of functions - eg execl().
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

dsl, 

I'll admit my knowledge of shell files started yesterday, so I have taken your advice. 

slacker, 

I tried a few variations of "sh -c <command> [args]" and it does not work, I cannot get the "Nios II Command Shell.bat" to execute arguments when it is started. I am thinking this is a problem with 9.1. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This isn't a problem only with 9.1, as I'm in 11.1sp1 and I can't do it either. Being able to auto-execute .sh scripts from my sim and build environments would help streamline things quite a bit, and reduce the amount of user interaction required. 

If ANYONE knows how to automatically run a script at the NIOS shell, it would be greatly greatly appreciated!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The command shell will autorun the script file user.bashrc, so you can use this to make it work. 

My batch file and script file are in a previous post. The batch file renames my script file to user.bashrc so it is autorun and starts the command shell. To prevent the script from running every time the command shell is opened, the last thing the script should do is delete itself. 

It would be nice if arguments worked, but this method has worked for me.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I do the following: 

I put all commands in a shell script, then I execute a wrapper bat file. 

alt_win.cmd 

@echo off mode con lines=32766 setlocal enabledelayedexpansion SET myPwd=%CD% :: 64-bit / 32-bit OS detection SET binName=bin if "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%"=="AMD64" SET binName=bin64 if "%QUARTUS_ROOTDIR%"=="" echo Env Var QUARTUS_ROOTDIR is missing. Is Quatrus installed? Is the path set correctly & exit /b 1 SET QUARTUS_BINDIR=%QUARTUS_ROOTDIR%\%binName% SET PATH=%PATH%;%QUARTUS_BINDIR% for /f "delims=" %%a in ('%SOPC_KIT_NIOS2%\bin\cygpath\cygpath.exe %myPwd%') do @set myCygPwd=%%a ::echo %myCygPwd% %SOPC_KIT_NIOS2%\"Nios II Command Shell.bat" %myCygPwd%/%*  

example.bat 

@echo off alt_win.cmd %~n0.sh %*  

example.sh 

# !/usr/bin/env bash --SNIP-- cmd="quartus_pgm -c $uCable -m jtag -o ipv;$binDir/$flashFile" echo " Running \"$cmd\"" $cmd || { echo -e "\e quartus_pgm failed. \e[0m" exitFunc 1 } --SNIP  

Using this methods allows you to have a unified interface to Windows and GNU/Linux. Windows users will double click on the example.bat file or even run it from cmd (with parameters and all) and GNU/Linux users will run the example.sh shell script as usual. 

Here is a working example : https://bitbucket.org/ftabunimeh/supportboard/src/default/scripts/
0 Kudos