Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers

miniproject

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i got a title for miniproject like this,, 

question-Develop a VHDL model for an accumulator that calculates the sum of a sequence of fixed-point numbers. Each input number is signed with 4 pre-binary-point and 12 post-binary-point bits. The accumulated sum has 8 pre-binary-point and 12 post-binary-point bits. A new number arrives at the input during a clock cycle when the data_en control input is 1. The accumulated sum is cleared to 0 when the reset control input is 1. Both control inputs are synchronous. 

and below is the code that i found.i've tried the code but it is not valid for more than 4-bits.is there anything wrong with the code?i also wanna know the meaning of "resize(data_in, sum'length)" in the code.is there any specific use or meaning of this code? 

library ieee; 

use ieee.std_logic_1164.all, ieee.numeric_std.all; 

entity accumulator is 

port (clk,reset, data_en : in std_logic; 

data_in : in signed(3 downto 0); 

data_out : out signed(3 downto 0) ); 

end entity accumulator; 

architecture rtl of accumulator is 

signal sum, new_sum :signed(3 downto 0); 

begin 

new_sum <= sum + resize(data_in, sum'length); 

reg: process (clk) is 

begin 

if rising_edge(clk) then 

if reset = '1' then 

sum <= (others => '0'); 

elsif data_en = '1' then 

sum <= new_sum; 

end if; 

end if; 

end process reg; 

data_out <= sum; 

end architecture rtl; 

i'm glad if there's anybody wanna help asap before next week...
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, use "generic" in entity definition. 

to post codes in this forum, use the [ code ] [ /code ]. 

entity accumulator is generic (N : integer range 1 to 32 := 4) port ( clk,reset, data_en : in std_logic; data_in : in signed(N-1 downto 0); data_out : out signed(N-1 downto 0) ); end entity accumulator; architecture rtl of accumulator is signal sum:signed(N-1 downto 0); signal sum:signed(N-1 downto 0); begin new_sum <= sum + resize(data_in, sum'length); -- maybe do not use this statement. -- new_sum <= resize(sum + data_in, new_sum'length); end architecture rtl;  

May it help you
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, use "generic" in entity definition. 

to post codes in this forum, use the [ code ] [ /code ]. 

entity accumulator is generic (N : integer range 1 to 32 := 4) port ( clk,reset, data_en : in std_logic; data_in : in signed(N-1 downto 0); data_out : out signed(N-1 downto 0) ); end entity accumulator; architecture rtl of accumulator is signal sum:signed(N-1 downto 0); signal sum:signed(N-1 downto 0); begin new_sum <= sum + resize(data_in, sum'length); -- maybe do not use this statement. -- new_sum <= resize(sum + data_in, new_sum'length); end architecture rtl;  

May it help you 

--- Quote End ---  

new_sum <= sum + resize(data_in, sum'length);  

you said maybe do not use this statement.then,can i know what statement do i have to use to replace this one?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

new_sum <= resize(sum + data_in, new_sum'length); -- something like that

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i've tried it..it's juz the same as new_sum <= sum + resize(data_in, sum'length);

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It is better to do '+' operation and then truncate the result than truncate terms and then do '+' operation 

in this case, it is less obvious since new_sum and sum get the same size. 

Rigorously, it is different.  

Think schematic.  

may the force be with you :-)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i'll try my best..thnx

0 Kudos