Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

JTAG on XUBUNTU (VMWare image)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I was able to set up Quartus+Nios on a Xubuntu 10.10, but I cannot figure out what to do with the jtag. Whatever I do, the result is: 

vmplanet@ubuntu:~$ lsusb 

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 09fb:6001 Altera 

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0e0f:0002 VMware, Inc. Virtual USB Hub 

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub 

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub 

vmplanet@ubuntu:~$ /altera/10.1sp1/quartus/bin/jtagconfig 

No JTAG hardware available 

What I tried before is: 

a) added "usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devmode=0666.0.0 " to /etc/fstab 

b)added "BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="09fb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="6001", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="usbblaster" " to 70-persistent-net.rules (the manual says put this line to 40-permissions.rules that does not exist) 

So, if anybody knows a solution, please help! 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I wouldn't advocate going over USB to get to your host's USB Blaster. I would use the virtual networking connection instead. You can do this be setting up Quartus II on your host to act as a jtag server (http://quartushelp.altera.com/current/mergedprojects/global/install/install_pro_jtag.htm). 

You can then type "jtagconfig --addserver <server> <password>" using the host's IP address (real or virtual) and the password you defined in the process described at the above link. 

I prefer this method over getting virtual USB to function properly. Though I've gotten both to function, the virtual networking thing is easier...in my opinion. 

Best of luck! 

slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

I was able to set up Quartus+Nios on a Xubuntu 10.10, but I cannot figure out what to do with the jtag. Whatever I do, the result is: 

vmplanet@ubuntu:~$ lsusb 

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 09fb:6001 Altera 

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0e0f:0002 VMware, Inc. Virtual USB Hub 

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub 

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub 

vmplanet@ubuntu:~$ /altera/10.1sp1/quartus/bin/jtagconfig 

No JTAG hardware available 

What I tried before is: 

a) added "usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devmode=0666.0.0 " to /etc/fstab 

b)added "BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="09fb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="6001", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="usbblaster" " to 70-persistent-net.rules (the manual says put this line to 40-permissions.rules that does not exist) 

So, if anybody knows a solution, please help! 

--- Quote End ---  

Some things you should try: 

1. comment out the line you made in a) 

2. on b) remove it out of 70-persistent-net.rules and write it into "51-usbblaster.rules" 

3. create an empty file named ".jtag.conf" 

I use Ubuntu 10.10 and these are the steps I made to work with the usbblaster. 

Urmel
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks everybody. As I found out later the problem is caused by exclusion usbfs from the Xubuntu Lucid Kernel. The easiest solution is to add  

sudo mount --bind /dev/bus /proc/bus 

sudo ln -s /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices /proc/bus/usb/devices 

to rc.local 

Now I have a VMware Xubuntu image with installed Quartus, Nios and working USB-Blaster. Maybe it makes sense to share it :)
0 Kudos