Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

Please help me with setup slack error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi: 

I use FPGA to capture 6 channel ADC output simutaneously. The pin of ADC output clock is COUT and 8MHz. The width of ADC output data is 16 bits. The time of valid data is about half of the period of COUT, that is, 62.5 ns. The relation between COUT and DAB( pin name of output data) is as follows: 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3899  

the timing specification of ADC is as follows: 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3900  

I use the following commands to constrain the source-synchronous input: 

--- Quote Start ---  

# base clock, 90 degree phase shift 

create_clock -name {adc_cout} -period 125.000 -waveform { 31.250 93.750 } [get_ports { ADC3_COUT ADC2_COUT ADC1_COUT }] 

# virtual clock, for set_input_delay 

create_clock -name {adc_virt_cout} -period 125.000 -waveform { 0.000 62.500 } 

# set input delay 

set_input_delay -add_delay -max -clock [get_clocks {adc_virt_cout}] 54.500 [get_ports {ADC1_DA[0]}] 

set_input_delay -add_delay -min -clock [get_clocks {adc_virt_cout}] 2.000 [get_ports {ADC1_DA[0]}] 

set_input_delay -add_delay -max -clock [get_clocks {adc_virt_cout}] 54.500 [get_ports {ADC1_DA[1]}] 

set_input_delay -add_delay -min -clock [get_clocks {adc_virt_cout}] 2.000 [get_ports {ADC1_DA[1]}] 

--- Quote End ---  

After reporting timing, the setup slack is: 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3901  

the hold slack is: 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3902  

I still couldn't figure out what went wrong. Could anyone please help me? Thanks!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I understand you have three ADC clocks each at 8MHz then I will try this: 

Assuming tCO = half clock period, you may lower min values to say 62.0 

create_clock -name {adc1_cout} -period 125.000 [get_ports {ADC1_COUT }] 

create_clock -name {adc2_cout} -period 125.000 [get_ports {ADC2_COUT }] 

create_clock -name {adc3_cout} -period 125.000 [get_ports {ADC3_COUT }] 

set_input_delay -max -clock [get_clocks {adc1_cout}] 62.5 [get_ports {ADC1_DA 

[*]}] 

set_input_delay -add_delay -min -clock [get_clocks {adc1_cout}] 62.5 [get_ports {ADC1_DA 

[*]}] 

set_input_delay -max -clock [get_clocks {adc2_cout}] 62.5 [get_ports {ADC2_DA 

[*]}] 

set_input_delay -add_delay -min -clock [get_clocks {adc2_cout}] 62.5 [get_ports {ADC2_DA 

[*]}] 

set_input_delay delay -max -clock [get_clocks {adc3_cout}] 62.5 [get_ports {ADC3_DA 

[*]}] 

set_input_delay -add_delay -min -clock [get_clocks {adc3_cout}] 62.5 [get_ports {ADC3_DA 

[*]}] 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you very much for your reply, kaz! 

--- Quote Start ---  

I understand you have three ADC clocks each at 8MH 

--- Quote End ---  

This is exactly what I meant.  

--- Quote Start ---  

create_clock -name {adc1_cout} -period 125.000 [get_ports {ADC1_COUT }] 

create_clock -name {adc2_cout} -period 125.000 [get_ports {ADC2_COUT }] 

create_clock -name {adc3_cout} -period 125.000 [get_ports {ADC3_COUT }] 

--- Quote End ---  

I am not convinced if three ADCs' output will come out at the same time, so this may produce better timing. 

Also, I went through the AN433 and found a method using virtual clock to constrain the design(I will definitely split "adc_virt_cout" into three virtual clocks later. :) ): 

--- Quote Start ---  

set_input_delay -add_delay -max -clock [get_clocks {adc_virt_cout}] 23.250 [get_ports {ADC1_DA[0]}] 

set_input_delay -add_delay -min -clock [get_clocks {adc_virt_cout}] 2.000 [get_ports {ADC1_DA[0]}] 

set_input_delay -add_delay -max -clock [get_clocks {adc_virt_cout}] 23.250 [get_ports {ADC1_DA[1]}] 

set_input_delay -add_delay -min -clock [get_clocks {adc_virt_cout}] 2.000 [get_ports {ADC1_DA[1]}] 

--- Quote End ---  

This considers the setup and hold relationships are not the same as they are with respect to the input clock. The input data is edge-aligned with respect to the virtual clock. The hold 

requirement with respect to the virtual clock must decrease by the amount of the shift 

(period/4 for a center-aligned DDR interface). The setup requirement with respect to 

the virtual clock must increase by the amount of the shift (period/4 for a 

center-aligned DDR interface). The input maximum and minimum delay values both 

decrease by the amount of the shift (period/4 for a center-aligned DDR interface). 

the period here is 125ns, divided by 4 is 31.25ns. ADC data output have setup timing of 8ns, so the input maximum delay is 62.5 - 31.25 - 8 = 23.25ns. I reserve the hold timing of 2ns. This produce the follwing timing report: 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3904  

The setup slack is 8.21ns. This slack should represent the estimation of setup time generated by TimeQuest. What brings the variation between the setup slack and ADC setup time?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If your interface is DDR then you need further additions for falling edges. 

see Timequest resource centre on altera.com 

With regard to 8 ns setup time of ADC, I am not sure what you mean because ADC is an outputting device, only its tCO matters. 

May be you mean maximum/minimum tCO or skew at ADC output, in that case it is fair enough to use that figure as range diff between max/min.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, kaz: 

Thank you for pointing out the problem. 

According the ADC's datasheet, the maximum tCO is 9 ns with respect to ADC_CLK falling edge(ADC_CLK is the sample clock of ADC). The minimum tH(Output hold time from COUT to data invalid) is 2 ns, and the minimum tSU(Output hold time from COUT or COUT to data invalid) is 8 ns, both with respect to COUT rising edge(COUT is the latch clock for ADC's data outputs).  

The datasheet recommends "Data out should be referenced to COUT", while it also says "The relationship between ADC_CLK and COUT is not fixed and depends on the power-on conditions".  

From the recommendation of ADC datasheet, I think the relationship between COUT and tCO is not fixed. In other words, tCO varies in different power-on conditions. So tCO may be useless for the input delay constraints. That's why I refered to setup and hold timing of ADC output in my thread. Now I have no idea how to constrain my design. Can you give me some enlightment? Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am still not convinced by referring to tSU/tH of an outputting device. These are parameters that apply to inputting device(fpga in your case). It could be what ADC recommends for the receiving device.  

A variable tCO would mean skew and that will be evident on min/max tCO or min/max recommended tSU/tH
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for the reply. 

I decide to use the tCO anyway. Maybe a little risky, but we will change the constraints based on practical result.  

Thanks again for your help!
0 Kudos