Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

program EPCS flash

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

I am trying to configure an EPCS4 device on a BeMicro board (cyclone 3 FPGA). Thus I have added a EPCS flash controller in the SOPC builder and configured the pins DCLK, nCEO, Data, Flash_nCE/nCSO as regular I/O's. I have also soldered the jumper on the BeMicro board. The device is set in active standard serial. 

However, when trying to program the flash using NIOSII flash programmer, I get the following error: 

Error code: 8 for command: $SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bon/nios2-flash-programmer "D:/altera/BeMicro_91/bemicro_sopc_bilder_lab/flash/bemicro_lab_schem_epcs_flash_controller_0.flash" --base=0x800 --epcs --sidp=0x110D0 --id=0x52EB769B --timestamp=1302705626 --device=1 --instance=0 '--cable=Arrow-USB-Blaster [USB]' --program --verbose 

A screenshot of the flash programmer window is attached. Can anyone help me? I would highly appreciate it! 

Cheers, 

marek
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you first configure the FPGA by JTAG with the SOF file with the Quartus programmer?  

Could you copy the text of the error into the forum and perhaps check what error 8 means? 

At this moment I've a bemicro board connected to my system, and I do not have any problems to flash the device (EPCS16).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Yes, I did program the .sof file using Quartus first. Can you tell me where to get more info on error 8, I've searched but haven't found anything on that.... 

The print screen of the error in flash programmer should be attached to my last post. 

Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you copy the text and paste it into the forum to see the complete error message... I don't see everything from this line... 

Some basic questions: 

Did you also add the pins to your toplevel, connected them to the right pins of your FPGA and connected them to your NiosII? 

E.g. 

Toplevel: 

--epcs flash device 

iFlashData0 : in std_logic; 

oFlashDClk : out std_logic; 

oFlashSce : out std_logic; 

oFlashSdo : out std_logic; 

NiosII instantiation: 

-- the_epcs_controller 

data0_to_the_epcs_controller => iFlashData0, 

dclk_from_the_epcs_controller => oFlashDClk, 

sce_from_the_epcs_controller => oFlashSce, 

sdo_from_the_epcs_controller => oFlashSdo,  

In Device and Pin options > Configuration and you have enabled "User configuration device" and you selected the EPCS. 

There is standard no EPCS, but you soldered the EPCS4 to the board?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you been able to solve it?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

Yes, I did program the .sof file using Quartus first. Can you tell me where to get more info on error 8, I've searched but haven't found anything on that.... 

The print screen of the error in flash programmer should be attached to my last post. 

Thanks for your help! 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, marek 

I have encounter the same problem. How did you solve it? Could you give me some guidance? It is apprciated to send the solution to my email-box. simon_100@sina.com. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, hope that U're fine :s  

i'm programming on a NEEk Cyclone III and i encounter the same problem. How did you solve it please ? It is apprciated to send the solution to my box. taha.zahdarane@gmail.com...  

help please ... Thanks! :confused:
0 Kudos