Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

MPU in UP3 board`

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am trying to make use of Memory Protection Unit in NiosII/f core and I am using UP3 development board.  

This link http://www.altera.com/literature/an/an540.pdf says that we need to enable it by checking "Inlcude MPU" as shown in figure 1.  

But at my end, I am not finding that option(Please refer to snapshot attached with this mail):( 

Does that mean UP3 does not support it? :( 

Also am using Quartus 10.1...is this a factor..? 

Please help... 

Thanks, 

Amjad
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The MPU didn't exist until the December 2009 release. If you're using tools earlier than that...it won't be there. 

Cheers, 

slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

^^ Thanks....so its more of a tool problem than development board problem right..?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

But am using Quartus 10.1 which is the latest version.... 

please help...:confused:
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I dunno...are you using the "legacy" SOPC Builder (PTF based)? That might be an issue and could happen if your porting an old design forward. I advocate starting from scratch which, in most cases, isn't too hard to do. 

See attached image to see what I see when using 10.1 with one of the sample designs. 

Good luck! 

slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Slacker....yes am indeed using ptf based system. I will look into your suggestion... :)

0 Kudos