Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

Cyclone III AP NOR flash compatibility

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I currently have a Cyclone III design setup for AP configuration that for years now has used the Intel (now Numonyx) P33 (130nm) NOR flash for configuration. The NOR flash is now facing obsolescence issues and the migration notes to the new P33 (65nm) show some differences in EOWL WAIT states (see section 5.5 of attached) . I believe the Cyclone III uses the P33 in synchronous burst mode while configuring and I’m curious if there’s a list maintained somewhere of compatible flash devices. The device I want to use now is the RC28F128P33BF60A which is the 65nm with slightly different timing. 

Anyone else out there using Cyclone III/IV in AP config mode with the P33 65nm device?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'am using the Numonyx "PC28F256P33TFA" in AP configuration for my Cyclone III. 

I know the timing differences between the 130nm and the 65nm process. But the new timing is supported since Quartus Versions 9.0 and later. 

If you flash the Device with the Quartus Programmer, Quartus will configure the Cyclone Device with the paralle flashloader. 

The PFL contains the timing and programming algorithm to control the flash. 

Since Quartus 9.0 the PFL works with the 130nm and the 65nm Flash, too. 

My design runs fine with the 65nm Flash. 

Regards, 

Nicolas
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Nicolas, 

Thanks for the response - I have actually changed the design to use AS configuration such that the NOR flash will never have compatibility risk(as it pertains to configuration), and the SPI Flash is an easily sourced part. I have another design that still MUST use AP with the PC28F256P33BF60 - so I will have some confidence in migrating to that device thanks to your post... 

Regards, 

John
0 Kudos