Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16612 Discussions

Problems connecting remotely to jtagd running on linux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a remote linux host (CentOS 5.5) with a USB Blaster connected to my target board. I've setup the USB blaster OK and it detects the device: 

jtagconfig 

1) USB-Blaster [USB 6-1.3] 

024090DD EP4SGX230/ES 

I can program the device running quartus_pgm locally on the host. 

What I need to do is connect SignalTap from my Windows desktop to the jtag server.  

So I run: 

jtagconfig --enableremote mypassword 

Error (Unknown error) when setting password 

Now what? 

Running: 

sudo netstat -l -t -p 

tcp 0 0 localhost.local:jtag-server *:* LISTEN 19585/jtagd 

So it's only listening for connections from the localhost. I saw on another page this should report the following: 

tcp 0 0 *:1309 *:* LISTEN 5444/jtagd 

Obviously any attempts to connect remotely fail. 

Any help appreciated!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just thought I'd post a solution to the problem that I received from Altera as it might be of help to someone: 

Need to run this first: 

jtagd 

and ignore the error it returns: 

getpid: Command not found. 

Then this works OK: 

jtagconfig --enableremote password 

The other thing I noted is that jtagd will exit after some minutes if no connections are made and you have to then repeat the above.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

jtagd can run in one of two modes. 

When started with the --user-start flag it will stop two minutes after the last client disconnects from it. If a client application needs access to jtagd then it will start a new jtagd process (if required) with this flag set. 

If started without the --user-start flag then jtagd will continue running until killed manually. This is intended for use if jtagd is to be run as a daemon from startup. 

The configuration file used by jtagd is also controllable from the command line with the --config <filename> option. By default the filename is /etc/jtagd/jtagd.conf, but if a jtag application started jtagd it will specify a configuration file in the users home directory. 

jtagd will listen on 0.0.0.0 if it is not going to automatically exit (no point in providing a service for only 2 minutes), and if the config file is within /etc/ (so that only the machine's administrator is able to open up ports). If either of these conditions is not true then it listens on 127.0.0.1. 

Once you have it listening on the correct addresss you will need to set a password in /etc/jtagd/jtagd.conf and (for older versions of ACDS) copy a couple of data files into /etc/jtagd in order to get remote jtag to work on Linux. These data files aren't needed in 12.0 or later as jtagd gets them from the acds install.
0 Kudos